Oil leak

ben04

my car has never leaked motor oil ever. today i did a change, put 4.7L of mobil 1 5w30 in and changed it with the proper fram filter (FH3600). after i brought it down off the blocks i noticed there was a puddle of new oil underneath. odd, but id rove it for a bit. later on that day after it sat in the garage for about 4 hours, there was a larger puddle of oil underneath the car, and this time i lost enough to get the OIL LOW light to illuminate. i cleaned it all up and ran the car for a minute while my buddy was underneath looking for any activity. nothing. i put papers underneath over night and this mronign there was no more leaks.......what could this have been? :confused:

Though I can't help you about the leaks....
Most will recomend against the FRAM filter. WIX seems to be the best one. there were side by side pics of bisected filters a while back on here and the FRAM is not recommended.
Best,
Tom

Take off the oil filter and make sure the old oil filter gasket did not come off the old filter if there are 2 gaskets there it will not seal.

Good luck
Nick

Last edited:
TBIRD1 said:
Take off the oil filter and make sure the old oil filter gasket did not come off the old filter if there are 2 gaskets there it will not seal.

Good luck
Nick

checked the old filter and the rubber seal was still present. however..

PROBLEM SOLVED : my buddy who put on the filter didn't clean off hte mating surface to the rubber seal so near the back of the surface there was lots of dirt which may have caused the leak. i changed it up with a new filter (thinking the old one may have been defective), cleaned the surface properly and topped up the 1/2 L of oil i lost. no leaks :D :cool:

Back