NASCAR breaking news...Hendrick Motorsports plane goes down

unclenick

Radio traffic indicates a plane crash occurred around 11:45am this morning in the Stuart, Patrick Springs, Bull Mountain area.

Sketchy information at this hour indicates the plane was headed to the Blue Ridge Airport in Spencer and with six occupants including the pilot.

Helicopters are now flying over the area trying to find the downed aircraft. We have just learned one of the racing team helicopters has now joined in the search.

Update 1 - 2:51pm: A helicopter has located the signal of the emergency locating transmitter of the downed aircraft, but due to extreme fog, they are unable to see the plane.

Update 2 - 2:52pm: State Police have determined the coordinates and are dispatching four-wheelers to the scene.

Update 3 - 2:53pm: A break in the fog has allowed the helicopter crew to get a visual on the crash scene. They report "there does not appear to be any survivors."

Update 4 - 3:30pm: Unconfirmed... the plane is alleged to be owned by Hendrick Motorsports and was headed to Martinsville for today's race.

Update 5 - 3:40pm: Fire and rescue have been advised to seal the entire area off to all media.

Update 6 - 5:13pm: The FFA and the NTSB has confirmed the downed plane was owned by Hendrick Motorsports and took off from Concord, NC. Officials have confirmed everyone onboard was killed, but no names have been released.

Update 7 - 5:23pm: We have received a partial list of the deceased. They are: Ricky Hendrick, John Hendrick, Kimberly Hendrick, Jennifer Hendrick, Len Morrison, and Scott Latham. Again, this is a partial list and remains unconfirmed, although the source of the information comes from the Martinsville Speedway.

Update 8 - 6:08pm: We have now learned unofficially that Randy Dorton and Joe Jackson were on the plane, again there were no survivors.

Update 9 - 6:10pm: We have now received this official confirmation from the FAA:

The FAA confirms everyone on board was killed. The list of passengers is as follows: Ricky Hendrick, John Hendrick, Kimberley Hendrick, Jennifer Hendrick, Dick Tracy, Joe Jackson, Liz Morrison, Jeff Turner, Randy Dorton, and Scott Lathum.

Our prayers and heartfelt sorrows goes out to the Hendrick Motorsports Team.

Been about ten years since we lost two good Thunderbird drivers-with all that Rick Hendrick has gone through the past few years this really has to be hard for him. :(

FYI-Randy Dorton was the Chief Engine Builder for Hendrick-their teams will struggle next year.

I don't know what to say.... I am a Johnson and a Gordon fan. So anything that hurts Hendrick mortorsports is felt here.

Thats hardcore... Papa Joe just passed earlier this year & now this..

Ricky was going to be one of those great Up & Coming stars of Nascar its ashame what has happened.. I am a die hard Earnhardt fan but.. Hendrick Motorsports has earned my respect & I am very saddened by the loss the whole Hendrick family has endured. My heartfelt condolences go out to Rick Hendrick & the whole Hendrick family..

:(

Been a very bad day today. Scott Lathum and his family are personal friends of mine. Scott was a local boy and a helicopter pilot in the Army(as well as Tony Stewarts personal helicopter pilot) and was leaving for Iraq Monday. He is survived by his wife and 3 children.

Back