OUCH! Barried the temp gauge.

Dahoopd

Ok, I got it running. I think it had major air in the rad, the gauge was going nuts. Anyway, I was trying to get it home and the gauge barried on hot and the check gauges light came on WTF! I assume I took it too far. I burped the rad and its running fine but now the gauge only goes up to the line above cold. If I rag on it, it then only goes to the N on the gauge.

Did I fry the gauge, or is it a fluke that my car is running that cold. It is only around the 60's here in Baltimore and I have my A/C removed. Thanks again Gents.

Huh?

Ok, Manny cut me some slack! What is that suppose to mean. How would I know the thermo temp by not using the gauge? Am I suppose to pull it out when its at full temp and stick it on my tongue like a battery...lol. Help me out here.

Dahoopd said:
Ok, Manny cut me some slack! What is that suppose to mean. How would I know the thermo temp by not using the gauge? Am I suppose to pull it out when its at full temp and stick it on my tongue like a battery...lol. Help me out here.
I think he means what kind of thermostat do you have in your car. 180 deg., 190 deg., or the factory thermostat.

no I wanted him to remove it put it on his cheek and feel how hot.

yes I meant what temp is it aka 180 185-190-195- ect

Oops

Manny,

Its a 180 from SCP. It did it again today. The gauge barried itself and the check gauge light came on. I was doing 45 in traffic and when it started to overheat I just shut it down in the middle of the road and impeded traffic. The other fools on the road were a little upset but Hey I love my car too much

Dahoopd said:

I took mine out after HG's and beat the hell out of it harder than I ever have and kept burping the radiator, overflow tank, and the vent tube on the thermostat housing. Finally cleared up. There was a LOT of air in there. Make sure your heater blows hot air when warmed up, if not then you still have air in there.

PS. I don't think Manny was trying to be a smart @$$ on that, and your response sure seemed to me like you were, when he/we are just trying to get info as to help you.

the reson I wanted to know what thermostat is some are more prone to stick closed and if the weep hole is not open , ive had a t stat that had no bleed hole in it.

and one that stuck seems the cooler ones stick more often why?

who knows.

when I put my engine back together few months ago it did this,
it was air in heater core.

I dont run a t stat in my sc I have a restricter plate mine runs cold all the time,

I trick my computer this way , not best for a street car,

computer says engines cold needs more gas runs rich and full timing.

a rich moter dont ping anywho enuff of my stupid exusses for no t stat,

try to turn on heater idle engine fill with coolant , open bleeder near water outlet pipe" between blower snout and alt"

then make sure radiator is full, rev engine a little . while engine is running ,

danger here!!! tightn the bleed bolt, make sure coolant level is at right hight, in radiator, then fill res to correct level, and make sure all hoses are tight ive had a loose overflow tube and it sucks air back into rad when cold.

hope this helps if not which head gaskets where used ? maybe air cought in heads?

Err! Uhh! No!

Bob,

I wasn't being a smart @ss! I knew mannny was kidding, he always is. Anyway, not worth getting your panties in a bunch.

Manny, Thanks for the post. I dont remember a weep hole in the t-stat. It was a 180 from SCP so if they have it, its got it. I have burped this thing atleast 5 times already. I did change both temp sensors. The gauge does seem to be working better now, but I can tell there is still air in it by the way it fluxuates up and down. Anywho? I will just keep burping it until its right. I cant burp it by the burp tube the d@mn bolt is seized up in it. Everytime I try to crack it open the whole tube twists. Thank for the help..........D.

Dahoopd said:
Bob, I wasn't being a smart @ss! I knew mannny was kidding, he always is. Anyway, not worth getting your panties in a bunch..
YOU seem to be the one with the bunched panties Dahoop. Maybe I misunderstood you earlier on this post AND other posts I've seen you "Comment" on, but "Panties in a bunch" from saying that Manny wasn't trying to be a smart @$$? Are you like 14 years old? Maybe you misunderstood me, but regardless sorry for the help, and feel free to reef on that vent tube as hard as you can... :rolleyes:

dudes manny is a nut case leave it at that . I was messin with ya a little.

I always do cant stand to be serious for to long a time,

he we everyone knew it was a slight sarcasim by me I do that,

comes from my disfunctional family up bringing, dont argue over it ,

I dont mind the insults or sarcastic remarks about me ,

most are true and I work hard to maintain my jerky persona

I expect them, and also I consider everyone here a friend,

friends joke around both of you are very well liked

"as friends" and we can talk about anything, hell ill even let you guys call me a double clutching lane changing road hog if its funny .

so come on stop the argueing shake hands and come out swinging argh erh
singing. yeah thats it singing.

and as for the pink pantys all bunched up I like em that way ,

I wear em like that most everyday.

Last edited:
No Idea Why?

Bob,

I really have no idea why I am wasting the keystrokes to reply to you. As for age, I am really only an 8 year old, but thank you for the kind thoughts. If you read the "comment" after Manny's reply, you would see ' LOL'. That means laughing out loud. As I am right now. That means HaHa it was a joke, to laugh ones self silly. I dont think Manny took it wrong. YOU DID! I apologize if I was ever offensive to you and thank you for your assistance........I really do think you need a nap or something.

OK panty-bunchers, quit bickering.

D - right below the bolt on that burp tube, there is a place to put another wrench. Just hold the tube firmly with a wrench, then use another wrench to loosen the bolt. This should fix the twisting problem.

Manny, get a real thermostat. That washer you have in there isn't helping performance. Real SC's run hot and lean, right on the verge of blowing up. :D

Heal Yes!

As Rob put it, if it taint on the verge of blowing up...........it taint being run right!

Thanks rob, I am going to take care of it today. It seems like everytime I fix a little quirk another happens the following day. They are small but very irritating.

Rob Noth said:
OK panty-bunchers,

Manny, get a real thermostat. That washer you have in there isn't helping performance. Real SC's run hot and lean, right on the verge of blowing up. :D

I have NOTH ing to say about that !!

mine loves it cold. NOTHing is better than cold beer and cold engine,

my oil temp is 220 water temp is 185 hey Rob then tell me hot is better. lol

ya know Rob everyone tells me its bad but mine just runs better at 185,

Back