Cracked block?

kenshi

I'm starting to think I got screwed over bad with this Supercoupe purchase. Shortly after leaving the driveway, it started smoking pretty badly. I stopped at a gas station and the water and oil were mixed together. There was also pressure inside the block. After reading up, I figured it was the head gaskets. So I changed them. I had the heads checked and they weren't leaking nor warped at all. Now I have it mostly together and put water in the radiator. Guess where it ended up... I could hear it trickling into the engine as I added the water. So I loosened the oil pan bolt and let the water drain out. So it looks like it's the worst possible thing it could be. Is it definitely the block or could it possibly be something else? I stand over my SC with an axe while awaiting your answer.

The only two things I can think of would be a cracked block or a bad factory oil cooler. I have heard of both occuring before.

-Rod

Unfortunately, I don't think it's the oil cooler. The radiator seems to fill to near the top (roughly level with the upper hose) before the water gets in the engine. If you could recommend an easy way to check it though, I'd certainly like to be sure before I give it the axe.

That's certainly a thought. Ya know, the more I think about it, the more this doesn't add up. Like I mentioned before, the water doesn't seem to enter the engine until it gets level with the upper radiator hose. Now I put a new thermostat in it which should be closed, blocking passage of the water into the intake manifold. So the only place it should theoretically be going is through that bypass hose. Does that lead to the oil cooler? I'm trying not to get my hopes too high, but it's starting to look like it may possibly be something other than the block.

And here's a little piece of information that may help as well. The car had sit for about 5 years before I bought it. I figured maybe the guy ripped me off by selling me the car knowing it had a bad block, but two things suggest otherwise: the heads were checked and weren't even the least bit warped, and the problems didn't seem to start until driving it a few minutes. If it was dumping water into the oil like it is now, it probably wouldn't have made it through the test drive. I'm starting to think maybe the water sitting for 5 years had caused something, like the oil cooler, to rust up, and when the car was started, it gave out. Do you guys agree with my theory? I have to go to sleep for a while, but I'll be doing more checking on it when I wake up.

Well, if it does turn out to be the block, I have a 91 SC block in my shop that is looking for a new home.

-Rod

Back