Thunderbird roll cages and fitment

SuperCoupeSC91

i'm about to buy a 10 or 12 point roll cage, i think a 12 point but not put the front 2 bars on it and also not have the X on the door removing the right hand comming come bar, but i'm wondering, anyone have any suggestions of places and how they fit or herd of ? i'm looking for a steel/mild steel one, only place i see for a decent price (260 12 Point Cage) (89 Shipping to my door) is jegs (link below) I think my friend and I will atempt to weld it in......any tips or suggestions is very welcome :D Thanks Alex L

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4098&prmenbr=361

here is a pic of Jegs rollcage and what i want to install, the front 2 bars i dont think i will due because i dont know how hard it would be to do and i dont know where they would go to :confused: so i might just leave them out.. unless someone tells me and its not to hard, my interior dash is completelty gone, making custom one, just i need the cage in before i do so.. but here is the pic from jegs of there 12 point and what i would install in there 12 point.. who here has roll cages and how many point? any pics, i think i seen only 1 cage in a bird on this site before...Alex L

Last edited:
Alex,

I'll give you a tip...Don't Do It !!

If your hell bent on screwing up a perfectly good interior then knock yourself out. You don't need a full cage either way....just order a 6 point rollbar because that's going to be hard enough.

S&W Racing sells kits for our cars that are resonably priced. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.swracecars.com/

David

SuperCoupeSC91 said:
i'm about to buy a 10 or 12 point roll cage, i think a 12 point but not put the front 2 bars on it and also not have the X on the door removing the right hand comming come bar, but i'm wondering, anyone have any suggestions of places and how they fit or herd of ? i'm looking for a steel/mild steel one, only place i see for a decent price (260 12 Point Cage) (89 Shipping to my door) is jegs (link below) I think my friend and I will atempt to weld it in......any tips or suggestions is very welcome :D Thanks Alex L

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4098&prmenbr=361

That kit that you are looking at getting is for 83-88 Fox body Tbirds, not mn12s other wise it would read 83-97. I should know I used to work for Jegs in the shop where they make those cages at. They didn't have the measurements for our cars. When I was there I was going to have them do it, but didn't. I also couldn't stand their quality control they have.

Shane

"David my interior is gone, check this post below :D " i'll also e-mail or look for the kit and the price when i get home on that website later..thanks..

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52671

also "Shane" i'll call and it makes sense, since the yrs are off, but cant i hold them and have them find me one :) since there advertiseing it :) right ? let me know what u think..

Just a thought

SuperCoupeSC91 said:
"David my interior is gone, check this post below :D " i'll also e-mail or look for the kit and the price when i get home on that website later..thanks..

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52671

also "Shane" i'll call and it makes sense, since the yrs are off, but cant i hold them and have them find me one :) since there advertiseing it :) right ? let me know what u think..

If the reason for cage is looks?? enjoy it. But if your doing this for NHRA Drag Racing style :cool: "PLZ" obtain a copy of rule book So you meet proper req. But I dont believe you shall be running had enough to need a cage.
This is not a slam we own sleds ya know. Good luck Brother

SuperCoupeSC91 said:

I dont think you could hold them to it. Its just a typo. They have a few other typos for tbird parts that are 83-92.

Now I could always go to Jegs and talk to some of my old friends and see if they can whip some measurements out for a cage for you. We'll see...

Shane

isn't a 4 point cage good enough once you get into the mid 11's?.....If not I'd just do an 8-point cage. It should be good enough and it wont be too much for a street car.

Why not just buy whats already available like David suggested and then add the parts you need to make it what you want? Simple really. :)

I got the one from S&W in my car. I think roll bars look KEWL! My interior looks great as well, David is just anti roll-bar :)

David,
I checked it out, i like there 10 point, but if i can i might go 12 point i was talking to my friend that welds now and he said it shouldnt be to hard but i need to cut like 3" holes with a hole saw for them to go up front for the front bars, but dam 250 for a 10 point, i can get a 12 point for 260 at jegs (or as there misleading add) ..I wonder how much they will charge for a 12 point + delivery..

PurpleHaze,
I know i dont have that much Hp/Tq, i want it for looks and for later on, so i will be set, i might turn my SC into a drag Sc only next yr i dunno, i'd rather do as much as i can to keep it street legal but be the lightest :) and also i have racing seats now and i need to attach them to a roll bar :) i will get a copy of that info i didnt think there was anything needed but glad u mentioned it :) because i do want to go to the track more and more, and i wouldnt want to install this to find out i did it wrong or not according to the rules..(i cant belive i overlooked that, i should of figured theres rules, Thank You :eek: )

quick35th,
i will call them right now and find out about it.. i called a week ago and that kit is in stock but i will talk to the tech department.. if it gets no were i'll get back to you :) (thanks for offering to help)

"Shane" i just called jegs and they said they can garentee me it will fit up to 92 ?? :) go figure and i said can u verify this, and he said they check up on it every year, so he put me on hold and then came back and told me the same thing that it will fit up to 92, and i said ok, so now if i buy this and i come into a problem and it does not fit, now i'm going to have to return it, he said thats fine, i said now what about shipping charges ? oh we will take care of that for you.. this true ? but wth ? u said your sure that it doesnt fit ? can u look into it for me with the people u know ?? please :D i dont understand he put me on hold and must of asked someone else again ? there that bad over there ?? :confused: :confused: Thanks Alex L

Alex, I can try to find out for you. See what I dont understand is why they think that a cage for a fox tbird will fit in a mn12 tbird, and for that matter why if it fits in a 89-92 why wont it fit in up to 97? Makes no sence to me. I sware if it doesn't have a bow tie on it then they dont know anything about it over there. If I can get myself out of bed saturday morning I could roll to Jegs and talk to my old boss and see if he can get some measurements for me. Hopefully he isn't to buisy. He may want to know if other people are interested in a cage as well so if anyone else is interested please speek up. This may help the cause. Cost wouldn't be to bad. I think there is a fee for it beeing a special item. I remember once looking through their book on the tube bending machine looking for an mn12 tbird cage but none was listed. I used to do all the roll cage work at Jegs. I cut the material, cleaned it, and got it ready for shipping. The job was fun at first but got really boring and it wasn't worth the money they were paying me. Even with my discounts on parts.

I will let you know.

Shane

Guys-

You will have to cut and modify every piece they send you. The only thing that is custom on any roll bar kit is the width of the center piece that goes over your head. There is alot of work involved with mounting plates as well.

Gary

"kuhnga" do i need anything more than a chop saw and a gas mig welder ? :) my friend has some tools.. not sure of what else i would need.... that sucks to modify every piece ? why dont they advertise it like that ? figures i think i'm going to get a roll cage and weld it right in, now i have to chop and modify most of the pieces and weld it, dammit :( U got picks of yours ? Alex L

kuhnga said:
Guys-

You will have to cut and modify every piece they send you. The only thing that is custom on any roll bar kit is the width of the center piece that goes over your head. There is alot of work involved with mounting plates as well.

Gary

Gary

This is very true. At Jegs the size of pipe was a minimum 1/2 inch to long and could be as big as 3 inches to long. That way the customer has some wiggle room to work with. The plates are 6X6 inch. I tried to keep it reasonable while I was there.

Shane

Last edited:
Maybe XR7Dave has some pictures, I lost all mine. Scrapping all the gue off the floor to mount the plates is a pain and you have to drop the gas tank to weld the back 2.

"kuhnga" why would i have to remove the gas tank to weld to the floor a 6 x 6 plate ?? i might try to do it without doing that. i dont see why u would need to ? heat ? its not going to be that bad ?? just weld it slowly, sections instead of going all out and getting the whole thing red hot :) and use wet cool cloths to cool it down a little..i think me and my friend can do this....only thing now i'm wondering is if i have to cut the pipes i have to make half circle ? cuts how did u do it ? my friend suggested to me today to use a die grinder but dam on alot of them, i think that will take forever.. . Alex L

SuperCoupeSC91 said:
"kuhnga" why would i have to remove the gas tank to weld to the floor a 6 x 6 plate ?? i might try to do it without doing that. i dont see why u would need to ? heat ? its not going to be that bad ?? just weld it slowly, sections instead of going all out and getting the whole thing red hot :) and use wet cool cloths to cool it down a little..i think me and my friend can do this....only thing now i'm wondering is if i have to cut the pipes i have to make half circle ? cuts how did u do it ? my friend suggested to me today to use a die grinder but dam on alot of them, i think that will take forever.. . Alex L

Alex,

The pipe ends already have the angle cut in them, and the other it cut straight across. Thats the end you remove the material from.

You remove the tank in case of fire. You wouldn't want to explode now would you. Personaly I wouldn't risk it.

Shane

"quick35th" thanks for the info, i'm glad to hear about the pipes, but the welding the plates i think i'll risk it, i dont think it will get that hot. let me know when u get some info on that cage for me..Thanks Alex L

Back