Total Seal gapless piston rings and PVC valve system???

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
After I told the guy at the machine shop that I was using 20over gapless piston rings from Total seal, he told me to some how disconnect the PVC system, or it will end up sucking oil right out of the engine. Or, he said to somehow restrict it so that it doesnt suck so much air (put a thick bolt with a whole drilled into it in the line). Has anybody experienced a problem like this with the PVC system in our cars and with gapless rings?

I've got Total Seal gapless rings, and what Randy says is correct. These rings should reduce blow by and cause less crank case pressure and less oil going into the PCV valve.

David

Oh, cool...so none of you guys have experienced any problems with ur PVC? Didnt have to disconnected or anything?

I get oil into my intake from the PCV valve just like every other SC, but not because of the rings. I just use an inline fuel filter to trap most of the oil mist and change it about twice a year.

I was having a major oil consumption problem (1 quart every 300 miles) but found out that all my valve seals were damaged and leaking. Since fixing the seals the oil consumption seems to be back to the normal one quart every 3000 miles or so.

David

Last edited:
Well I am relieved taht at least the people that have them on our cars have not experienced SERIOUS problems with these. As long as they work its ok. I guess once i have the car working i would keep my eye on the oil consumption and, if need be, attach a filter to the pvc line to catch some of that.

David, why are you losing a quart ~3000 miles? Mine is probably going through that a little quicker, like 2 quarts every 3000. I need to look at the seals, actually I was going to order some tonight.

Would those of you having the quart lost every 3k attribute it to the forged pistons you're using, or just general use due to the work you put the engine through?

My 91 SC has used roughly 1 qt of oil every 3000 miles ever since I bought the car in 93. It used to bug me because it was dry as bone on the pan and never leaked a drop of oil on the garage floor. Then when I pulled the intercooler to install a double IC, I found out where much of it was going.

I don't really know how much oil it will use in 3000 miles, because I usually break something major every couple of months and change the coolant and oil as part of the repair. I've got about 600 miles (mostly hard miles) on the car since replacing the valve seals and so far I haven't needed to add any oil.

I also think I have been overfilling it, because my dipstick wasn't showing full until adding nearly 6 qts. I'm now only using 5 qts to fill it.

David

Mike, I'm not using forged pistons but I am running TS gapless rings. Along with Neibert no leaks. My exhaust does get real dark when it is matted so I wonder if it is burning oil at WOT or just running pig rich, or burning oil because it is running pig rich, which is what most people think. Cylinder wash preventing the rings from retaining the oil and then it gets burnt. Something like that, I am no expert by any means.

I can probably fix it if I know what is broken but that is about as good as I get.

Along with Neibert no leaks.

Oh yeah....ever since I've had this engine built up (Feb 2002), the real main seal leaks a little. I've changed the seal twice but it still leaks, so I do get an ocasional oil drip on the floor.

David

Back