Problems with my 5% pulley

SC90_Pete

Last friday my supercharger belt shredded while driving. I'm up at school most of the time so I had my dad drop it off at our family mechanic who has worked on sc's before. I told him to replace all the belts since it was due for it and see if there was something wrong with the pulley. Well, my dad called me and said that the mechanic told him that the pulley is out of line by a 1/4 of an inch. So he took it off and tried putting it on the other way and the same problem. I ordered this 5% aluminum pulley from Supercoupe performance. I installed the pulley last august and have only driven maybe 200-300 miles since that time since I'm usually up at school. My thoughts are that if the pulley is a 1/4 of an inch out of line then the belt would have slipped off a long time ago.

I really don't know what to do, does anyone recommend someplace to get a 5% pulley that will line up correctly other than scperformance.com? Does anyone have any thoughts and or suggestions to possibly the source of this problem?

SC90_Pete said:
Last friday my supercharger belt shredded while driving. I'm up at school most of the time so I had my dad drop it off at our family mechanic who has worked on sc's before. I told him to replace all the belts since it was due for it and see if there was something wrong with the pulley. Well, my dad called me and said that the mechanic told him that the pulley is out of line by a 1/4 of an inch. So he took it off and tried putting it on the other way and the same problem. I ordered this 5% aluminum pulley from Supercoupe performance. I installed the pulley last august and have only driven maybe 200-300 miles since that time since I'm usually up at school. My thoughts are that if the pulley is a 1/4 of an inch out of line then the belt would have slipped off a long time ago.

I really don't know what to do, does anyone recommend someplace to get a 5% pulley that will line up correctly other than scperformance.com? Does anyone have any thoughts and or suggestions to possibly the source of this problem?

I just got mine from SCP a few months ago and it works just fine. I had to file down the snout a little because it fit to tight on the snout, but the belt lines up.

I would want to see the mechanic try it both ways. Is he sure he didn't try it the same way twice? Someone else correct me but 1/4 inch is about right if you put it on backwards? Your mechanic may believe it is on correct because it rubs the snout the other way. If so you will need to file down the ribs on the snout.

If not, I would call or email Bill E. at SCP. He has always gone out of his way to answer questions when I call or email.

You should not have to file down the snout to install an overdrive pulley. You should be able to have a machinist modify your existing pulley so it fits correctly unless the belt alignment will be to far off as a result. Drop me a line and I'll see if I can help you out.

Paul

Back