Did I get damaged main bearings or are these ok? (pix inside)

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
I got my set of clevite 77 main bearings today, but im a bit stumped about them. Both halves of the thrust bearing have two big grooves on each side that dont look right...or at least i dont remember them being on the old thrust bearing i removed (and i dont have it to check). You can see it here:
MVC-022S.jpg

MVC-027S.jpg

MVC-032S.jpg

Also, the other bearings have some scratch markings...some on the outer face of the bearing, which i think its just because of rubbing between the bearings due to the way they were packed:
MVC-025S.jpg

But i want to make sure that this one is ok...therse are scratches on the inside of the bearing...the surface that matches with the crank. These although light scratches, dont look too good. The one big one in the middle looks like crack b/c of the lighting...but its just scratch. Nevertheless, i decided to ask.
MVC-029S.jpg

MVC-030S.jpg

What do u guys suggest I do? Thanx a million!

MVC-030S.jpg

What do u guys suggest I do?

Get where ever you bought those from to replace them because of that!!!^^^^^^^^^^

That don't look good.

I'm pretty sure that bearing surfaces are supposed to be smooth and shiney. No heavy scratches, cracks like that. I'd return the whole set.

Its not bad but im pickey and would return them. Anything on the out side is fine as long as its minor. Inside should be dull and smooth. Im sure you know to check the oil cleance on every bearing surface. ;)

The side of the thrust bearing is supposed to have that groove on it to allow oil to get to side of the bearing so thats okay.

The surface of the bearing isn't supposed to look like that. Somebody did something to it, so i would send it back and get new ones.

throw 'em back

shouldn't be ANY physical marks on the internal surfaces...if you look at the Ford specs, the 3.8 SC crankshaft is surface finished to 7.8 microinches (thats 0.0000078 inches)...those bearing inserts need to be near-perfect, they are very soft material; a lead, tin, antimony alloy, your fingernails can damage that inner surface,.

The discoloration of the bearing material is a sign of excessive age. ...Look at the back of the bearing and you will see a date code like 03-02, for example, which is March 2002....those may be really old pieces.....the last set I got from the warehouse were dated 12-03 and 02-04.

Also, double-check the insert for journal #4 [rear] it's 0.010" thicker than the others, since the #4 crank journal is 0.010" under by design and the insert has a different part number stamped on it compared to the others [the non-thrust bearings, of course]

MIKE 38sc said:
Thrust bearing is fine however the other bearing is destroyed, return them and get new ones.

Clevite 77

Let me go "Old School" for a moment. Having a half bearing grooved for Oil, is the second best thing to Cross Drilling the crank.

If I had my choice, I cross drill all the Mains & Rods, & let a hp/hv oil pump keep up! Old School.

68COUGAR
_________

Man, that sux! I guess i better play it safe and return them to summit. They had to special order them in the first place so im not eager to get another "it will be 10 days" to get another set. And i ordered them through summit b/c autozone apparently doesnt carry them anymore. When I tried to get them there they told me it would be special order...then they told me that their supplier no longer carries them. Its good to know that the groves on the thrust bearing are supposed to be there...but those scratches on the other bearing ...man, if they were only to pack the darn bearings better than this:
MVC-025S.jpg

Im sure thats what caused the scratches.

Why not buy them localy? Most any parts store can get them and there not expensive. I see they have changed the pkging because my bearings did not come all shrink wrapped together like that.(thats a crappy way to do it) My bearings came in individual box's so that they could'nt beat on each other like that. Are you sure those are Clevites?

Yeah, i have the box that sais clevite 77...nevertheless...i do agree that the packaging sux. Imma go check advanced auto for the bearings...b/c like i said autozone doesnt carry them anymore..or so i was told by their sales person.

hey bud i would send those back.. i had trouble with my first set of clevites also. not sure which SC your rebuilding but if its a 94 95 you have to machine 3 of the 4 end caps due to a 1mm difference in the aligning tabs.

check Autozones website.. when i got my second set they were much cheaper than any of the other places out there. period and i had them at my door in two days.

btw where in MD are you? im right up the road in pa. (usda live in Bmore) i hope your not using AHM performance (machine shop) in rosedale... they Fd me hardcore

anywho good luck
Chris

Well guys the bearings are getting shipped back to summit today. I tried looking locally but everybody is selling them for over $60 bux and i only paid $40somethin @ summit, so i rather wait a few days (im already so much in debt!). The whole autozone deal is apparently dead...i tried going through their website and it keeps telling me there's an error in the order once I try to add the bearings to the basket...so who knows.

Chris, i live in Laurel...which is maybe 20-25 mins south of baltimore. Im not using that machine shop, i actually found a relly good one in Glen Burnie (lame plug go go yea!: Crankshaft Grinding and Machine). As far as the bearings, im rebuilding the engine for my 89 SC...its actually a 90 engine thats gonna go on my 89...i do remember reading some issues in fitment on the later model bearings..so i'll have to keep that in mind when I rebuild the engine for my 94.

solution for good priced bearings

Data below is from Autozone's web site :

print this out and take it to a Kragen/Shuck's or whatever they call it in the east...

out west in LA, Kragen will not only match the autoZone price, but will beat it by 5%.....I've built several motors for SCs [and 455 Olds] with brand name parts for less than what my jobber prices are at Speed Warehouse, which is supposed to be rock bottom prices for service operations....

took two days to get parts [they even call when ready]

MAIN BEARING - ENGINE for a
1994 FORD THUNDERBIRD 3.8L SC
.000 STANDARD SIZE

Special Order

CLEVITE MS1782P $28.49

CaifanSC said:
Well guys the bearings are getting shipped back to summit today. I tried looking locally but everybody is selling them for over $60 bux and i only paid $40somethin @ summit, so i rather wait a few days (im already so much in debt!). The whole autozone deal is apparently dead...i tried going through their website and it keeps telling me there's an error in the order once I try to add the bearings to the basket...so who knows.

Chris, i live in Laurel...which is maybe 20-25 mins south of baltimore. Im not using that machine shop, i actually found a relly good one in Glen Burnie (lame plug go go yea!: Crankshaft Grinding and Machine). As far as the bearings, im rebuilding the engine for my 89 SC...its actually a 90 engine thats gonna go on my 89...i do remember reading some issues in fitment on the later model bearings..so i'll have to keep that in mind when I rebuild the engine for my 94.

Back