Rebuild AOD or get used AOD

91_SC_BIRD

Well my tranny is toast, not even worth running at the track this weekend. I can get it rebuilt for around 1000$ and have piece of mind, or should i just spend a couple hundred and get a used one... Does anyone around the GTA have one for sale by any chance???

Thanks

trans

91_SC_BIRD said:
Well my tranny is toast, not even worth running at the track this weekend. I can get it rebuilt for around 1000$ and have piece of mind, or should i just spend a couple hundred and get a used one... Does anyone around the GTA have one for sale by any chance???

Thanks
my car is for sale when someone buys it then maybe you can get a good trans or get your friends with tbirds to all go in and buy it

Rebuilt tranny

There is no guarantee buying a used tranny. You have no idea how it was driven and whether the various weak points have been addressed. If you like the car and plan to keep it for a few years, you will be better off having it rebuilt by a reputable company for a little more than a used tranny.

If you are up for a drive to Belleville, Donny at KD transmissions, 613-962-4797 can help you out a lot, particularly if you want to beef it up for the track (they also do transmissions for race cars). KD has now rebuilt 3 transmissions for me and the price has been very reasonable. ;)

Used tranny

Steve Richards said:
There is no guarantee buying a used tranny. You have no idea how it was driven and whether the various weak points have been addressed. If you like the car and plan to keep it for a few years, you will be better off having it rebuilt by a reputable company for a little more than a used tranny.

If you are up for a drive to Belleville, Donny at KD transmissions, 613-962-4797 can help you out a lot, particularly if you want to beef it up for the track (they also do transmissions for race cars). KD has now rebuilt 3 transmissions for me and the price has been very reasonable. ;)

I agree, a used tranny working today, gives you almost no indication that it will still be working 3 months from now.
Call Pat at 416-231-1611 he is parting a 91' which has a working AOD. He is a professional mechanic, so the best thing would be to work out an installed price with him.
Pete ROy

judgeroc said:
my car is for sale when someone buys it then maybe you can get a good trans or get your friends with tbirds to all go in and buy it

I feel your pain. I thought long and hard about a used one, and came to the same conclusion, and most of these guys are a lot brighter than I am.
I opted for the total rebuild, and if you can get it done for $1000, go for it.
Final bill for my '95 auto LX, with the shift kit, is $1855.
She is coming home today. Driveway has been so empty.

Peterdroy66 said:
I agree, a used tranny working today, gives you almost no indication that it will still be working 3 months from now.
Call Pat at 416-231-1611 he is parting a 91' which has a working AOD. He is a professional mechanic, so the best thing would be to work out an installed price with him.
Pete ROy

Was it rebuilt?

And thanks for the info guys, and i totally agree on the fact that who knows if it will still work 3 months down the road, might as well do it once, and do it right. I was also thinking about 5 speed, many people are parting out 5 speeds. I would love to have it, but i'm worried by the fact that alot of people are having a hard time finding parts to rebuild them....

91_SC_BIRD said:
Was it rebuilt?

And thanks for the info guys, and i totally agree on the fact that who knows if it will still work 3 months down the road, might as well do it once, and do it right. I was also thinking about 5 speed, many people are parting out 5 speeds. I would love to have it, but i'm worried by the fact that alot of people are having a hard time finding parts to rebuild them....

Complete rebuild. Mike is gathering a list of all the parts and peices they used, Said it invloved a lot of updated parts. I will post them in here when I get it. They dont get a lot of T-Birds, so he said they spent a lot of time researching and test driving. Warrantied for a year, so he said if any probs, there would be not trouble having it fixed.
Heres hoping!!!!!!!!!!!!

91_SC_BIRD said:
Was it rebuilt?

Complete rebuild. Mike is gathering a list of all the parts and peices they used, Said it invloved a lot of updated parts. I will post them in here when I get it. They dont get a lot of T-Birds, so he said they spent a lot of time researching and test driving. Warrantied for a year, so he said if any probs, there would be not trouble having it fixed. The final price was $1840.
Heres hoping!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I really need to get it done, I only have OD that works like it should... I've been doing alot of reading on a 5 speed conversion... I always wanted that in the first place, and its also cheaper to rebuild. I'm just wondering about gathering all the parts and getting it put in. Would it be worth cost/time wise???

If you still want the auto rebuilt then I will ask my buddy if he will do it as he just got back to work after having a blood disorder.He is one of the best tranny mechanics that I know,just ask Paul 93SC :D

T5

Greg Coleman said:
If you still want the auto rebuilt then I will ask my buddy if he will do it as he just got back to work after having a blood disorder.He is one of the best tranny mechanics that I know,just ask Paul 93SC :D
I think you should find a rusted out parts car for the flywheel/hydualic master cylinder parts etc and put a T5 in the car with the shifter length adapter.
From what an AOD weighs vs a T5 with flywheel and everything, I suspect you could drop 125lbs off the car.
My 2c.
PR

Peterdroy66 said:
I think you should find a rusted out parts car for the flywheel/hydualic master cylinder parts etc and put a T5 in the car with the shifter length adapter.
From what an AOD weighs vs a T5 with flywheel and everything, I suspect you could drop 125lbs off the car.
My 2c.
PR

I doubt a standard, stock T-5 would last long in our cars, even a SuperCoupe in stock form. The M5R2 is a much beefier transmission and can handle the torque our motors make much better than a stock T-5. If you're going to consider putting a T-5 behind the 3.8L supercharged V6, I think you would need to start with a really heavy duty T-5, like a TKO or something similar.

...Now, if you did do this, then it could be a really sweet 5-spd SC to drive. The T-5's typically shift much nicer than the M5R2's.

Cheers,

Sean

I have a AOD that I will sell to you for a great price. I also have the connections to be able to sell you ALL the parts you need for the 5 spd swap. I sold the guy all the parts for swap, but he never has gotten around to doiong, and has since sold his SC. Give me a shout.

SeanMatteson said:
I doubt a standard, stock T-5 would last long in our cars, even a SuperCoupe in stock form. The M5R2 is a much beefier transmission and can handle the torque our motors make much better than a stock T-5. If you're going to consider putting a T-5 behind the 3.8L supercharged V6, I think you would need to start with a really heavy duty T-5, like a TKO or something similar.

...Now, if you did do this, then it could be a really sweet 5-spd SC to drive. The T-5's typically shift much nicer than the M5R2's.

Cheers,

Sean

if I was going to put a different transmission than an M5R2 and had money to do it (which i don't LOL), it would be a t56! At least with that, you won't need to worry about strength issues.

91_SC_BIRD said:
if I was going to put a different transmission than an M5R2 and had money to do it (which i don't LOL), it would be a t56! At least with that, you won't need to worry about strength issues.

Actually, I believe there are different versions of the Borg-Warner T-56 transmission. For instance, the version in the Viper is supposedly stronger than that in the Mustang Cobra's, or the Camaro/Firebird. Also, they have different dimensions depending on the application. ...Oh, and they are pretty expensive still. But, yes, a six-speed SC would be nice too! :D

Cheers,

Sean

I ahve one trat needs the overdrive clutch re donbe.

You can have it for 150. Come get it. No negotiating just down to business.

Paul 416 824 0505
91_SC_BIRD said:

Thanks

nitrouspaul said:
I ahve one trat needs the overdrive clutch re donbe.

You can have it for 150. Come get it. No negotiating just down to business.

Paul 416 824 0505

Thanks for the offer, but I already have another one in the car.

Back