snapping front end.

cougar20th

my sc started doing something wierd after sitting for a couple months. now when turning i get a snaping from the front pass side tire. ive pulled everything apart. nothing loss. nothing feels bad. i replaced the bearing/hub last year. it still feels fine. the car didnt do this until a month ago. the car feel fine driving. i just dont want to have a big problem when driving it. or damage some expensive part.

ideas to check for?

cougar20th said:
my sc started doing something wierd after sitting for a couple months. now when turning i get a snaping from the front pass side tire. ive pulled everything apart. nothing loss. nothing feels bad. i replaced the bearing/hub last year. it still feels fine. the car didnt do this until a month ago. the car feel fine driving. i just dont want to have a big problem when driving it. or damage some expensive part.

ideas to check for?

mine does the same but it is on the drivers side that is does it...kinda like a pop sound and I can feel it in the wheel but no play in the tire or nothing I can see...anyone???

Just a guess, but check your sway bar end links. Mine made a very similar sound until I changed mine and the sound went away.

David

Another thing to check is the steering rack it self. With the engine off and the tires on as smooth a surface as possible, turn the wheel lock to lock and see if you feel any anomales. It should be smooth but stiff with no looseness or snapping sounds. Maybe have someone look under the car while you're turning the wheel. I think it's the sway bar endlink, though.

I get a popping sound also. I think my problem is the strut rod bushing. You guys should check yours also.

Shane

quick35th said:
I get a popping sound also. I think my problem is the strut rod bushing. You guys should check yours also.

Shane

Yup, I've just replaced mine, it had a very large wear mark and it caused the same popping sound. You might want to check the upper control arm also. The ball joint gets very warn out.

My popping sound will be eliminated this winter when I install the AJE kmemeber and tubular lower arms. The entire front and back suspenssion will be brand new when I am dont with it.

Shane

NCredSC said:
Just a guess, but check your sway bar end links. Mine made a very similar sound until I changed mine and the sound went away.

David

i will have to double check that. i know one of the rubber boots on the end that attaches to teh swaybar is ripped.

never thought this was a common problem. i will be sure to post what i find. gonna look again tomorrrow at it.

quick35th said:

Shane

I can assure you all that the strut rod bushings do rot. I repaired mine by digging the rubber out, supporting the strut rod in the control arm with wire, pumping 3M window weld (polyurethane) into there and wrapping it in plastic wrap. You can't do it all at once, you have to get some poly hardening in there and then fill it out. You can prevent it sticking to the control arm by coating it with vaseline. Major improvement in handling after replacing the rubber with poly, and a minimal effect on ride.

Back