AOD for a 90SC

clanfear

Hey,

I just burned up the AOD in my '90 SC in the last month or so, took me a while to get to doing anything about it, even though it is my daily driver. I'm trying to find an AOD in really good shape with low miles and maybe even with a solid shift kit already installed. Doesn't need to be all beefed up, but I'd like something that'll do me fine for the next 70,000+ miles on a stock motor. I'm more than happy to pay crate shipping charges out to Oregon (97439 zip) for a solid tranny that has receipts for professional rebuilds or comes from someone with a solid reputation. I'm dying to get my car moving again.

Or, more exactly, moving in any gears except first and and a somewhat rough second.

Thanks,
- C. Lanfear

Is it totaly burned up, or can a local tranny place repair it?

Art Carr makes a pretty good AOD for this car for about $1400.00

I got mine fixed at a local shop with a shift kit and other additions for about $1600.00

It lost third and overdriv. First and second seem to run pretty well, but it starts slipping hard around 3500-4000 RPM. Hard pressed to go over 40 or so. Accelerates great right up to that point though, heh.

It could be rebuilt, but I don't really want to pay for a new tranny or a fresh rebuild. I'm more interested in getting a solid used tranny. As a college student I don't have quite the cashflow to invest $1000+ in a new or rebuilt. If I had the cash, I'd go ahead and just order a strong street/strip AOD (and get it professionally swapped in), but I'm kind of hoping to spend a lot less than that (and then throw it in myself). I don't need a performer, I need a durable daily-runner that can have its fair share of miles on it already.

- C Lanfear

i got a aod if ya want it its off a 96 let me know within 2 days from now 600 only like 30,000 miles on it ok let me know or it going to a junk yard

If it is out of a 96 SC it is not an AOD, and I quite clearly want an AOD. Specifically, I want one out of a supercoupe, not out of another model Ford (in case you meant some other Ford that still used the AOD in 96). The SC AOD is a little sturdier than other AODs, and the automatic in the late model SC's is a 4R70W, which is not what I am after. Also, $600 would be a bit much for a stocker with 30,000 miles on its way to the junkyard. I could get a freshly rebuilt N/A TBird AOD from Phoenix for $550.

But I'd rather not try and swap bands and relevant parts myself, unless I really must.

I would be very interested in that tranny if it is a 4r70w. Let me make sure I understand you first. You want $600 or it goes to the junk yard? Which junk yard exactly.

Back