First mods......DONE

unclenick

Ok, did the 5% pulley, gutted cats, high flow res, K&N, removed air silencer and IC fan.
All I can say is cool, very cool. Now comes the B&M ripper, 80mm TB, and gears soon. I can see traction is one hellva issie with these cars. With just those simple mods, I cannot keep the rear tires on the ground in 1st gear.
Juts very cool indeed ;)

If you not running an aftermarket power hungry audio system you should consider a set of underdrive pulley's as one of your next modifications. It's one of the best bang for the buck mods I've done on both of my SC's. :)

One other thing I'd suggest is a bigger MAF. I did a few drives with the stock one and the 76mm C&L one and there's quite the difference. With the C&L one throttle responce is quicker and it felt like the powerband rises faster. Another good bang for your buck part.

Unclenick,

I would hold off on that 80mm TB.....until you have a ported blower and the Magnum powers inlet plenum, anything larger than 70mm is a waste because the plenum (even when ported) is only 68mm.

I think a larger MAF (like C&L 76mm) and underdrives would be my next mods.

David

Yea, the underdrive pulleys is my next mod, then were going for gears. I have not decided with 3.55 or 3.73's. I don't drive the car far everyday but it is an hour drive to the track from my house. We'll see.....The TB and plenum is on my list to do, then maybe heads, injectors :eek: I am getting in deep here with the SC but, what the hell. It's only money and I cant take it with me if I go. :D

Tom, my 94 has never been on a dyno and my 95 dynoed 286.2 rwhp and 186.8 rwt at the shootout. I'm still trying to figure out why they couldn't get an accurate torque reading on it. Theres not even a torque curve on the dyno sheet, none. :confused:

Hows your SC comming along? Bet you can't wait to get it back. :)

Last edited:
XR7 Dave said:
Don't do the 3.73's, you'll regret that one. 3.55's are plenty.

Dave, I have 2.73 now and at 70 mph I am turning 1800 rpm in 5th gear. Will 3.73's really be that high? I figured that 5th gear, 70 mph I would be around 2200-2300 in 5th gear with 3.73's. Am I wrong?

Is the taller gear going to make my launch a MOFO even with ET streets?

i would go 3.27 MAX , first gear is already very short on the SC and with gobs of low end torque 3.73's aint gonna help much for launch , altough i may be a lil better for the highway

unclenick said:
Dave, I have 2.73 now and at 70 mph I am turning 1800 rpm in 5th gear. Will 3.73's really be that high? I figured that 5th gear, 70 mph I would be around 2200-2300 in 5th gear with 3.73's. Am I wrong?

Is the taller gear going to make my launch a MOFO even with ET streets?

Well, if you want to drag race, you have to keep your trap speeds in line with your Hp peak. If you go to 3.73's you will be past HP peak at the end. This is not good.

Also, your math is wrong. You will be turning 2500 in 5th at 70mph. Not that 2500 is all that high, but when HP peak is at 4600, you don't have much headroom left.

With 3.55's and ET streets I launch pretty well but 1st gear is over by about the 60 ft mark. Mike Puckett and I both run the 3.55 gear with excellent success on the track.

Ok, I see now. 3.55 it is. Yes, I am going to drag race the car so if peak HP is obtained at 4600 rpm then I see where 3.55's come into the plan. Thanks :)

Back