Weird Occurance?????

joe debattista

Sometimes when I drive my SC the overflow tank has boiling water in it and steam emits from the cap. It does not overflow and the temperature gauge is reading normal (never goes very high). Has anyone had this problem or know what it is. Should I worry. I just don't know what it is. Thanks for the help.

- Joe

Happened to me this summer. I was on the road and filled it with about 3/4 gal of distilled water to get it back home. After that, I changed out the radiator cap, ECT sensor, thermostat and refilled it proper. Haven't noticed it bubbling like that since then, but have had rather erratic temps for the last few months. Could be my temp sender connection, or my head gaskets going out :eek: I suppose.

As for your problem, go with the radiator cap first.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted. I just replaced all of those things fairly recently, but you never know, the radiator cap could have been faulty. I'll see what happens tomarrow. The main thing I'm going to check for is if it is loosing water. Thanks again.

- Joe

I had that problum last winter.

I replaced the t-stat and it was resolved. Howver, I feel that that was also an indication of other issues that I was not aware of at the time...
Check compression if you can as well.
Tom

slime

watch your overflow bottle for signs of a grey slimey gue ...when the firing ring of the OEM gasket blows ..the gasket material that held it together ..mixes with the coolant ..and ends up plugging the overflow bottle, or pressure release part of the rad cap ...or the line to the overflow bottle..this could be early signs of HG's going ...watch your coolant levels ..fill to the cold mark on the overflow bottle [when engine is cold]...and watch it make sure you are not loosing coolant.. over a short period of time ...#3 and #6 cyclinder are the ones that blow ...so check those plugs or do a compression test .to see how the gaskets are doing ...your temp gauge not spiking is a good sign ...though it could be just a matter of time ...dave

Back