audio wiring... HELP!!!

lapole37

i recently bought a pioneer reciever unit (on sale, of course haha), and now i have no idea how to hook the wires up. the wire colors don't match up with the wires on my thunderbird. can anyone tell me what the wire colors in the thunderbirds wiring harness (the long thin grey one) mean? can someone give me some help or suggestions on how to set this thing up? i'd greatly appreciate it.

edit: the model number is DEH-P6600.

Last edited:
Harness

you ned to buy the harnes for it I can get you part numbers today from work but I relly hope you didnt cut your plugs of the car cause that just ruins it.

if you could get me the part numbers i'd be unbelievably happy. o and my car has the 'premium' sound option, according to the emblems around the door handles anyway. when i bought this car all of the speakers, amps, and the subwoofer were gone, so i'm not exactly sure about what to do on anything audio related with this car. :(

Last edited:
Is the deck already out of it? If it is, there should be 1 black and 1 gray plug, correct?

I believe the black plug is for the speakers and the gray plug is the wiring harness for the stereo itself.

If it doesnt have the black plug, or you have already cut it off, get a 9V battery, grab to of those wires and touch them one to the positive and one to the negative terminals of the battery. If a speaker makes a crackling sound, those 2 wires go to that speaker, mark them with something, continue on.

If you can, just go to a car audio place, and pick up the wiring harness for the deck that is made to the car. That's really the easiest. If you need any help, I can try to my damnest to help you...

Stephen

Re: ...

lapole37 said:
i recently bought a pioneer reciever unit (on sale, of course haha), and now i have no idea how to hook the wires up. the wire colors don't match up with the wires on my thunderbird. can anyone tell me what the wire colors in the thunderbirds wiring harness (the long thin grey one) mean? can someone give me some help or suggestions on how to set this thing up? i'd greatly appreciate it.

There's a few ways to wire up.. Asumming the deck you bought is driving the speakers directly. All the power connection is in the long plug & all the signal
connection are in the square plug. You could use an adapter to run the stock amplifier. or bypass it all together. To bypass the amplifier... There is a white
molex plug behind the right kick panel. It's the one with 4 set of twisted wire going to it, unplug it.. I believe the male side is the speakers. Just use a 9 volt batt. to pulse it ..to find the speakers. Also figurering out the polarity is a good idea too. Then just extend the wires to the back of the cd player.

Good luck :)

lapole37 said:

Did you get the wiring figured out yet? I have the t-bird wiring diagram. shoot me an email if you want it. It is email-able and will show you connections and has all of the wiring info you need to install a new head unit and speakers/amps (factory that is, and if you want those, I happen to have the four channel amp and the subwoofer amp that are for sale). They both work and are going to go to the first person that has $50.00 plus the shipping to get them to you. I can photograph them as well.

In any case, the diagram is available and it will show you what goes where, from that you can hook up anything you like, with the right parts.

tmh620@ yahoo.com is the email address, Todd is the name.

Go to Crutchfields and buy the wiring harness to match our car and the stereo you bought. Probably cost around $20 (free when you buy a system from them).

better off going to best buy. That way you dont have to wait for/pay for shipping. I just got one from them for 19.95.

First of all, I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar problem, and I can't find the answer anywhere. I've searched.

I bought a Metra wiring harness for Premium Sound Fords. (I have a 92 SC)from Best Buy. I don't believe that I have an amp and sub. I'm putting in a JVC KD-LH300 deck. The gray plug works fine, powers the deck and everything. But the black plug does not work. I've even tried taking out the wires and plugging them directly into the plug, and nothing from any speakers. WHAT IS WRONG?? I know my way around audio systems, I've installed my fair share of them, and I am stumped on this one. Any help would be awsome.

Sorry for bringing an old thread back to life.

You probably do have the amp and sub... it's a 6 inch sub in an enclosed unit and fires up into the deck.if it is in the car at all, it would be tucked up in the rear deck,access from the trunk and it will be on pass. side of the car. I know that if you install aftermarket deck in the car you need an adapter, but i don't know which exactly.
Sorry i'm not more help...

drummerzrok24 said:
I forgot to add. That when I put the stock radio back in, the speakers work. Don't know if that makes a difference of not.

If the vehicle had the CD player, and if it is missing, you have a section of the harness that is just hanging there empty as well. The replacement of the stock radio would complete the loop for the signal to get to the speakers.

If you do not plan to use the factory CD player, wire your speakers from an aftermarket amp, or directly from your new head unit. As far as your aftermarket harness, it could be faulty.

If you want the wiring diagrams for the system let me know, I have them in a word doc that I can send to you.

Good Luck, Todd H

drummerzrok24 said:
The stock radio is just a cassette and am/fm radio.

Can you please send me the wiring diagrams. www.drummerzrok24@hotmail.com is my email. Thanks

What if I cut the black plug and wire the speakers directly to he big gray wire that holds all the speaker wires?

Unless you know which wire does what, I would advise against that. I tried to send the diagram to the email above, but got a failure message. I will try to PM it to you.

The PM is a no go, the images do not load. Do you have another email address?

Last edited:
If you got the correct harness that plugs into both Ford plugs then all you need to do is connect the wires. red to red, blue to blue, black to black... and so on. Make sure you connect all the blue wires together (amp remote turn on) and it will work. I've done 100 of them.

drummerzrok24 said:
The stock radio is just a cassette and am/fm radio.

Can you please send me the wiring diagrams. www.drummerzrok24@hotmail.com is my email. Thanks

What if I cut the black plug and wire the speakers directly to he big gray wire that holds all the speaker wires?

Ok, the guys on the board are making this too difficult. If I remember correctly the black plug is the smaller one right? Wire everything up and make sure that you arent missing (not seeing) the amp plug. One of the harnesess is for the sub-signal and one is for the speaker amp. You must:

1. Bypass the speaker amp if you want full range sound from the speakers, or else its crossed over with no bass.

2 Bypass the sub amp if its blown. When I did my 90 my sub was blown so I bypassed it. If it still works then use it cuz the stock speakers suck.

3. Both the amps are under the rear deck. The sub amp is easy cuz the plug and amp are in plain view. The speaker amp is up inside the little shelf thingy. Reach in there and connect the bypass plug that was supplied with your harness kit.

If you do this right you should have sound.

Oh and since your in SW Ontario I'm guessing your in the Windsor area. If you get stuck, call me. 734-692-7933. I'm in the Detroit area.

Ok, I just checked that little black plug with a light tester. I get nothing at all with the light tester, but the big gray plug works fine. So....could the plug be faulty? I am not talking about the wiring harness I bought, I'm talking about the black plug that plugs right into the stock deck.

MY wiring kit only came with 2 plugs, gray and black one. Do I need another one for the amp? And the amp is on the pass. side of that rack, right? And what do I do with the gray plug that goes into it?

Back