Runnin hot

93blownsc

I have a 93 SC, and for some reason, it likes to run hot, I've replaced everything in the cooling system, and flush and filled the new radiator several times, but it still will run hot and then the fan will kick on and it will settle downa little bit, but im baffled as to what this can be. Any help will be greatly appreciated, i want to keep the car b/c the car b4 this i had was a 3.8 T-bird n/a, and it was majorly slow.

That's just the way they run stock. I would change the thermostat to a 180 deg. and add a switch that will kick on the fan at a lower temp. I saw one at Pep Boys that was like 35.00 bucks. It was preset at 185 degrees. Easy to install. You can also add a bottle of Water Wetter to your radiator.
What's the highest the needle has gone to on the temp guage?

Darkside said:
That's just the way they run stock. I would change the thermostat to a 180 deg. and add a switch that will kick on the fan at a lower temp. I saw one at Pep Boys that was like 35.00 bucks. It was preset at 185 degrees. Easy to install. You can also add a bottle of Water Wetter to your radiator.
What's the highest the needle has gone to on the temp guage?

Not so, my SC never gets above the "N" on normal and I have a new temp switch. I run the ***** out of it in 90 degree weather with the a/c on.

Make sure the fans are coming on and of course there is no air pockets in the cooling system.

unclenick said:
Not so, my SC never gets above the "N" on normal and I have a new temp switch. I run the ***** out of it in 90 degree weather with the a/c on.

Make sure the fans are coming on and of course there is no air pockets in the cooling system.
Is to so......times 10. :rolleyes: Have any idea at what water temp the stock EEC tells the fan to come on?

Darkside said:
Is to so......times 10. :rolleyes: Have any idea at what water temp the stock EEC tells the fan to come on?

Hmmmm, he has to have something wrong. My fans come on right around 180 or so and the car stays cool all day long, through Orlando I4 5:30 pm stop and go traffic. Still never comes above the "N" in Normal. :)

hot

im in Jacksonville FL, sometimes it will go al the way over to the H and then kick itself down to the L on Normal.

Fan on temp

Darkside said:

I belive it is 220 degrees for the high speed fan.

93blownsc said:
im in Jacksonville FL, sometimes it will go al the way over to the H and then kick itself down to the L on Normal.

Wow,I hope your gauge is broken because that couldn't be good.

If you have a blown head gasket and you are getting oil into your cooling system or water into your oil it can cause problems like the one you are discibing.

Good luck,
Chris

A small pin-hole size leak no matter how little it weeps will make an SC run HOT...It is tough to see every lil coolant line but ya really gotta look CLOSE...If you are using ANY water you have a leak externally or internally...Preferably external..

You did not really explain with any exactness what the cars fan cycles were in relation to your temp gauge so it may or may not be a normal condition. Beware using a 180o T-Stat it CAN make things worse...

Brad

I thought the low speed fan came on at 220 deg and turned off at 214. And the high speed came on around 228 and turned off at 222 deg. That's why I run the low speed all the time in the summer (I know it comes on automatically with the a/c, but it also goes off again above 47/8 mph). In the winter I just use my low speed override switch if it heats up in traffic - normally just early fall or late spring.

might be a defective thermostat, i have gotten them and did the old hot water test and new ones were defective, that is the beauty of high production in foreign countries. :rolleyes:

93blownsc said:
I have a 93 SC, and for some reason, it likes to run hot, I've replaced everything in the cooling system, and flush and filled the new radiator several times, but it still will run hot and then the fan will kick on and it will settle downa little bit, but im baffled as to what this can be. Any help will be greatly appreciated, i want to keep the car b/c the car b4 this i had was a 3.8 T-bird n/a, and it was majorly slow.

With all these new parts including a radiator it sure sounds like HG's to me.
Have a pressure test done on the cooling system and you'll find the problem.

Last edited:
Hey man,

Check tha water temp. This is how you do it, run the car till it starts to heat up around R on Norm,then you turn the car off and pull the T-state and put it on your cheek ok,then let me know how it turned how hot the T-State is

Rofl

Last edited:
Back