PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh

Camdog1999
10-30-2004, 10:03 PM
Im scared you guys are going to tell me this is soemthing bad and costly like head gaskets. Today drivign home from work the car starting stuttering. It was stopped in road and tons of whote smoke came out of the back and exhaust. I got it in the parking lot. Tried to start it would start for a second and blow tons of white gas. What did I do. lol. I just got a ticket yestreday my luck looks likes its going downhill in a hurry.

thebigslide
10-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Check your coolant for oil (scum in the overflow) and your oil for coolant (milky colored oil). If you have either of the two symptoms, it is likely a head gasket. Do you have any other leaks? This could also be very likely an intake gasket leak (coolant getting into your charge), or something else.
It sounds like you got coolant into the cylinders. How it got there could be quite a few things; some simple to fix, some difficult.

Ryan

Jeremy_K
10-30-2004, 10:48 PM
Im scared you guys are going to tell me this is soemthing bad and costly like head gaskets. Today drivign home from work the car starting stuttering. It was stopped in road and tons of whote smoke came out of the back and exhaust. I got it in the parking lot. Tried to start it would start for a second and blow tons of white gas. What did I do. lol. I just got a ticket yestreday my luck looks likes its going downhill in a hurry.
that's what happened to mine when the HGs blew. Don't drive it til you find out what it is for sure.

Camdog1999
10-30-2004, 11:05 PM
that's what happened to mine when the HGs blew. Don't drive it til you find out what it is for sure.
lol no worries ists in a parking lot. now to figure where to tow it too. dont have the money now to fix it maybe in a month. its good im working 75 hrs a week i guess.

Camdog1999
10-30-2004, 11:31 PM
Ok so lets say its the head gaskets what are my options. I mean do you just buy new head gaskets if so how much for good ones. Then if your replacing head gaskets what other parts whould you repllace or need to replace at the same time. And what are the prices on them. I love my car and if Im going to be spending 1 2 3 grand im going to do it right and get as much done at once and hopefully nto have to worry about ot for awhiel. Oh and ofcourse i got the ****ing tranny to rebuilt or get a new one cause the od band is broken on that. im unfortuently a moron and dont know what to do. I can get the money for the parts and work just want to do it right and hopefully not work my *** off to get it done. What woudl you guys sujest?

Jeremy_K
10-31-2004, 12:22 AM
Ok so lets say its the head gaskets what are my options. I mean do you just buy new head gaskets if so how much for good ones. Then if your replacing head gaskets what other parts whould you repllace or need to replace at the same time. And what are the prices on them. I love my car and if Im going to be spending 1 2 3 grand im going to do it right and get as much done at once and hopefully nto have to worry about ot for awhiel. Oh and ofcourse i got the ****ing tranny to rebuilt or get a new one cause the od band is broken on that. im unfortuently a moron and dont know what to do. I can get the money for the parts and work just want to do it right and hopefully not work my *** off to get it done. What woudl you guys sujest?
I did my headgaskets along with Darkside for about $500. An upper gasket set (includes head gaskets and all others you will need) $137. The heads need to be milled at a machine shop approx. $50-75 for both. You should get a 3-angle valve job done. mine was $200 but not totally necessary. You will need to buy oil and filters for a couple immediate oil changes after you're done. Also all new antifreeze as you will be completely draining the cooling system. I also got hose clamps, new vacuum hose, and Tbird88's teflon IC gaskets so you don't have to mess with RTV. Oh, I also got ARP head studs from Summitt for about $86 shipped. You cannot reuse the old head bolts. There is a cheaper way to go, but like you said... do it right the first time. it will be cheaper in the long run. try to find someone in your area on these boards who might be able to help you out. it's a good learning experience.

tbird88
10-31-2004, 11:17 AM
Actually, it sounds like one of your injectors failed or might be stuck. A sudden cloud of white smoke out the tailpipe is a dead giveaway, especially if you smell fuel in the cloud.

Wiggle the connections on all of 'em and if it doesn't clear up then check them one at a time. If it'll crank and idle then try the end of a piece of hose or a stick to your ear and the other end on an injector. You should hear the solenoid inside buzzing.
Another somewhat easy way is to use "noids" to check the injectors. They're little bulb thingies and you unplug the connector from the injector and plug the noid into the connector. Crank the engine over, don't need to start it just crank it over, and watch the noid. It should flicker, this will show if the wiring harness & EEC are working properly.
If the noid lights up steady (doesn't flash) or doesn't glow or light up at all then the problem is with the connector/harness/computer. If it flashes in rythym then the injector is probably at fault.

hope this helped,

'bird

ps: NMxr7SC, thanks for the plug! :)

Camdog1999
11-01-2004, 10:48 PM
I was wondering if I was to order the complete fel pro head gaskets from supercoupe performance if i would need any other parts to replace the head gaskets. Is there anything else i shoudl replace at the same time perferablly parts under say 500.

And since i cant do the repair myself i dont know **** about it. Will it be any cheaper ordering the parts myself then having the mechanic buy it or use his parts?

wezar
11-01-2004, 10:55 PM
Did you check to see if it is the gaskets blown as described above? Like Tbird88 says you will get a ton of smoke with a stuck injector. My car acted just as you described when one of my brand new injectors stuck with only 50 miles on it.

I also am using Tbirds gaskets. They work great.

Camdog1999
11-01-2004, 11:30 PM
right now im just assuming it is the hg's. The car right now is still parked in parking lot im going to get it towed to my apt in the next couple days.but i dont get much chance to do it working 12 hr days. I will when i get a chance to check that. I hope and pray its just the injector.

Jeremy_K
11-01-2004, 11:39 PM
If the smoke was dense and sweet smelling (like Antifreeze), it's probably the HGs. I've never had any experience w/a bad injector so I wouldn't know if the smells are at all similar. When my HG blew it billowed out heavy smoke for about 5 minutes after i shut it off. coolant was also dripping out my tailpipes.

SCotto
11-01-2004, 11:46 PM
If its the injector it will smell like gas if its the HG's it will smell sweet (antifreeze) .
You don't want to do the HG's if you don't have to.

Camdog1999
11-02-2004, 01:40 AM
yeah it is most likely the damn hg's cause it did smell sweet i thought kinda like melted marshmellows lol.