Turns over but will not fire.PLEASE HELP.

thumpjimmy

1990 SC. Car started fine this morning, ran fine for about 35 min. Parked car for 3hrs or so now car just cranks and will not fire. I checked fuel shutoff cb. ok. Can here fuel pump when car is turned on. Checked all fuses. Yes It does have gas. LOL. Any ideas would very helpful. This is the only problem I have had with car in six months so there were no signs leading up to this. Thanks.

Does the "UPSHIFT" light stay on while cranking? If so it is a bad Crank Sensor. They will sometimes go bad without any hints...

Brad

I had the same problem with my 89 lx it ended up being the control module, and pick up coil. In any case my car died while i was driving and i tried to restart it, but it just went over and over and over without firing. Hope that helps.

Darrel

Thanks for the help. Mine didn't die while driving. When it happened the up shift light did come on during cranking. The car started today(fired right up) and up shift did not come on. So my next question is, does the crank sensor come and go or does it die and thats it?

Would bet it’s the Crank Sensor, mine would start sometimes and sometimes not. Had to rock mine in gear to move the sensor and get it to crank, after that it would run great. Check the wiring going down to the sensor turned out that what was wrong with mine, a little fraying in the wire. Found it after I removed the sensor.

Flips right there It most likely sounds like the Crank Sensor to me ;)
Be carefull with this one though intermitent starting could mean your Harmonic Balancer bolt is comming lose or worse Breaking! THESE DO THIS ALOT!!!!! Get it checked asap!! Because if the bolt breaks it can screw up your crank... This is a really common problem on these cars no too expensive to fix if you catch it early. Good Luck :)

Rick

As far as the bolt on the HB is this what the manual refers to as the center bolt on the "damper/pulley assembly"? My manual has no listing for the harmonic balancer or I'm just being stupid. Thanks for all the help.

thumpjimmy said:
As far as the bolt on the HB is this what the manual refers to as the center bolt on the "damper/pulley assembly"? My manual has no listing for the harmonic balancer or I'm just being stupid. Thanks for all the help.

Yes, this is the center bolt. I just had mine repaired. Car died with no warning at a light, man these things are heavy to push too. Anyway, had it towed to Jasen Richards place (in Livonia, Michigan). He found an HB (in Grand Rapids-an OEM Unit). My bolt broke, had to have the old one drilled out, the crank was re-threaded and an oversize bolt was installed on the new balancer.

It cost me about $800.00 for all of the repairs, new s/c and serp belt and an oil change.

I have to say, the car runs better now than it ever had before. I step on the go pedal and it go's like a raped ape. I got onto I-275 here in the Motor City, following a little red 911 Turbo, stuck with him (without really trying) up to 105 mph, before I realized it. Then I backed off and let him keep going, goofd thing too, passed one of Michigan's finest in the median just past Ford Road... It felt like I was doing about 50, nice and smooth and quiet....I do not think the trooper would have understood...

Man I love this car when it runs the way it is supposed too.......

Anyway, take a look at the balancer, if the crankshaft sensor goes, the engine will die, it may or may not start again. Trust me, you do not want to let it go, these balancer is hard to find. I was without my car for almost two weeks.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Pesky Crank Sensors

I was be-bopping down a Central Florida highway earlier this year, cruising around 80 - 85 when the engine just shut off. Let it roll down to around 50 mph while thinking "what the hell?"- stuck it in 3rd, popped the clutch and it started up with no problem. It ran problem free until about a month later. I came out of the office at the end of the day and it wouldn't start. Nothing.

It was the crank sensor.

eddie

'90 5-speed SC
'97 4.6 Sport

How do I contact BHJ for a new HB. Ford wants $398 for a new one. If i'm gonna spend the money on this I don't wanna waste it on a used one.

I'm not sure that BHJ sells direct now. Watch the banners at the top of the page. Blue Tongue, Spinning Wheels and Super Coupe Performance are at least 3 vendors that sell the BHJ damper.

Be sure and keep your crank sensor ring, you'll need it on the BHJ. Always get a new bolt. I believe at least Spinning Wheels sells a longer bolt for the BHJ.

Some install info:

http://sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51252

thumpjimmy said:
How do I contact BHJ for a new HB. Ford wants $398 for a new one. If i'm gonna spend the money on this I don't wanna waste it on a used one.

So its safe to assume that you have a broken balancer then? Like the bolt head is missing or what?

Brad

cudaz101 said:
So its safe to assume that you have a broken balancer then? Like the bolt head is missing or what?

Brad

No, bolt seems OK, but pully shakes a little(very little) and if I'm gonna have someone replace the sensor and these cars seem to have a huge problem with the HB I just wanna get it out of the way now so I can move on the the other "simple" problems these car have. LOL

Check with Victor he's a really great guy and will answer all your questions he's at Spinning Wheels I just bought a BHJ from him today for $330.00 He will give you both the stock bolt and the longer bolt too.. Heres his website

www.spinningwheels-sc.com

thumpjimmy said:
No, bolt seems OK, but pully shakes a little(very little) and if I'm gonna have someone replace the sensor and these cars seem to have a huge problem with the HB I just wanna get it out of the way now so I can move on the the other "simple" problems these car have. LOL

Thats great and all....But I really don't see any reason to change a HB unless it goes on ya, or ya got $400bux or more layin around to burn on a replacement. The lil wobble is nothing to be concerned about...Mine did it when it had 10K miles on it and never went until 105K...So ya may wanna rethink your strategy a lil bit.

I would get me a $65 crank sensor and be done...Ya just gotta make sure ya get the right sensor as there are two differant styles from 89-93 and 94-95...

Regards

Brad

well it cranks but dont roll over hhhmmmm...... lets see now Super coupe are known for braking down?ROFL injector?mabe umspark plugs?wires? it could a million and one things man i just named a couple so good luck

Prick_Racing said:
well it cranks but dont roll over hhhmmmm...... lets see now Super coupe are known for braking down?ROFL injector?mabe umspark plugs?wires? it could a million and one things man i just named a couple so good luck

Are you serious???

Brad

Back