rpm run up

hepcat

I just started driving my 94 thunderbird 5 speed after having it for a year. I noticed that it seems that the rpm's seem to climb when I let off the gas and push down on the clutch. The higher the rpm's the less it will climb.

Is this supposed to do this and if so is there anything I can disconnect to stop it?

Thanks.

hepcat

It idles high? Or it accelerates without your foot on pedal?
Check your throttle linkage. If it idles high, could be your IAC Valve. Do a search on IAC Valve and see if those are the same symptoms..

rpm's

It doesn't idle high but tends to rev up and 2 to 3 hundred rpm's. Lets put it this way when i push in the clutch while driving to shift to a higher or lower gear it will increase in rpm's for about 2 seconds and then it will slowly lower to idle if I hold in the clutch. I have 19 inches of vacuum so I don't think it is a vacuum leak but was wondering if this tends to happen to other 5 spd owners?

Thanks

I have a 90' 5-speed, and have experienced that from vac leaks at the IC Tubes. Mainly the collar nut that goes into the SC top. Might check that..

so long as its only doing that while the car is in motion that is normal. The ECU does that to aid in shifting of the tranny among other things. What you appear to be experiancing is dashpot opporation.

Back