top speed

M

mustang98

What are the top speeds for the 1989-1995 thunderbird sc's

If I remember correctly the 5 speeds (all years) is 150mph and the '89-93 autos is 140-5mph. The '94/95 autos are computer restricted to like 127-130mph because of the trans/drive shaft vibration issue.

Joisey Jim said:
If I remember correctly the 5 speeds (all years) is 150mph and the '89-93 autos is 140-5mph. The '94/95 autos are computer restricted to like 127-130mph because of the trans/drive shaft vibration issue.

if you dont mind me asking but what trans/drive shaft vibration are you talking about i havent heard anything about that.....i mean i think i have felt it in my car around 100+ mph but what causes that??? :cool:

There is an interesting article on the TCCOA site about the vibration problem. Basically, because the drive shaft length is longer than the 5 speed and, the rear of the 4R70W auto trans (used in the 94+ MN12 cars) is weaker, Ford computer restricted the top speed to around 127mph. On my '94 the computer cuts me off around 130mph.
The quick fix appears to be either cutting into the appropriate EEC wire and putting in a switch to stop the speed limiter from working (haven't tried or proven that to work myself) or install an EEC Tuner and raise/erase the limiter speed. The right fix however, appears to be to install a lighter alum. or composite shaft, for which I understand a '93 Mk8 Lincoln will fit. I haven't priced out the Mk 8, but other custom shafts seem to be atleast $500.

1990 Sc

I had my 1990 SC redlined in OD. It took me forever to get up there, but it was so fast it was unreal. Probably was the stupidest thing I ever did too. I don't know how fast I was going, but it was kicking down and I was going well into the red in the tach. AODs suck, I blew 4 of them with that car. That was in 1993. Did I mention how stupid I was? All I know is I had a MX-6 GT Turbo 5 speed that topped out at 140 and it seemed to be going way faster than that. Now a days I'm scared when I top 100 mph.

I belive mine has a speed governor, a 1990 anniversary Auto.

My SC would not do better than 4200-4300 RPM in OD the other day it seemed like.

I was running with a guy driving a 93 LX Mustang, he said his only mod was exhaust) but another dude said the guy told him that engine work had been done to it, so I dont know.

Anyway, he didn't loose me, and couldn't pull away, and then after awhile he slowed down a bit and I passed him, and then I couldn't pull away from him.

The problem was that I felt like I could have gone faster, it just woudn't do it???

I didn't think to ask him if he had a high speed speedo...

I think there is something restricting my speed....

Of course this wasn't very smart... but this is honestly the first time I've run someone in YEARS!

I had a Hypertech Chip, a 9" K&N Cone filter, a Dynomax cat back, a C&L MAF Sensor, underdrive pullies and over drive supercharger pulley. I also had a muffler shop cut out the resonator and put a y pipe there. It sounded sweet as hell. At the time, I couldn't get any other parts for the car.

sizemoremk said:
I belive mine has a speed governor, a 1990 anniversary Auto.

My SC would not do better than 4200-4300 RPM in OD the other day it seemed like.

I was running with a guy driving a 93 LX Mustang, he said his only mod was exhaust) but another dude said the guy told him that engine work had been done to it, so I dont know.

Anyway, he didn't loose me, and couldn't pull away, and then after awhile he slowed down a bit and I passed him, and then I couldn't pull away from him.

The problem was that I felt like I could have gone faster, it just woudn't do it???

I didn't think to ask him if he had a high speed speedo...

I think there is something restricting my speed....

Of course this wasn't very smart... but this is honestly the first time I've run someone in YEARS!
If you are running stock gears and stock tire size, that would calculate out to 150. I believe that stang wasn't stock.

90blkbrd said:
If you are running stock gears and stock tire size, that would calculate out to 150. I believe that stang wasn't stock.

Oh, I am running 4r70w gears in my AOD tranny, should have mentioned it, but it says so in my sig line.

My SC is not far from stock.... biggest mod being the tranny...

But more mods on the way!!!

How is that mathematically calculated by the way, do you have the formula handy?

Thanks!

Last edited:
sizemoremk said:
Oh, I am running 4r70w gears in my AOD tranny, should have mentioned it, but it says so in my sig line.

My SC is not far from stock.... biggest mod being the tranny...

But more mods on the way!!!

How is that mathematically calculated by the way, do you have the formula handy?

Thanks!

Oops! I noticed your sig said that, but I thought only 1 and 2 were different. I was wrong, Sorry.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12474

I found the calculations from a search here on SCCOA, but there is a website that has it also. I will try and remember to get the link when I get home and post it.

90blkbrd said:
Oops! I noticed your sig said that, but I thought only 1 and 2 were different. I was wrong, Sorry.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12474

I found the calculations from a search here on SCCOA, but there is a website that has it also. I will try and remember to get the link when I get home and post it.

That's the ratio I found also,

there is a neat online calculator for estimating RPM vs speed.
Got to do it one gear at the time though...
http://pw1.netcom.com/~sgalaba/mph.htm

I'm still not sure how to make the calculation manually...

j rick kirby said:
In 1990 I got a ticket running 142mph in my stock 89 5spd.

Where at?

Did they take your license?

I got pulled over for 101 MPH in Georgia once, and the guy was PISSED when he finally cuaght up to me, as I never seen him, and didn't slow down for him to catch up... He siad it took him 5 mnutes to catch up! I guess he must have had to find a place to turn around...
100ish was top speed in the Grand AM I used to have.... Being stupid of course...

He had me follow him directly to the courthouse, where the judge threatened to take my license :eek: But he said since I was military he would let me off with a ticket reduced to 96ish MPH, which was about $120.... This was in 1995. Not sure if he could have taken my license, but I'd hate to find out!

:eek:

I thought I blew the motor the first time I passed 3500 RPM in overdrive in my 93 SC. I did some math and It seems like a speed limiter kicks in at 130 ish. It kicks in VIOLENTLY too!!

RPM limiter

turboken said:
I thought I blew the motor the first time I passed 3500 RPM in overdrive in my 93 SC. I did some math and It seems like a speed limiter kicks in at 130 ish. It kicks in VIOLENTLY too!!
If you understand how the OEM rpm limiter works, you'll know why it seemed violent when it kicked in. It does the same thing if you over rev to long on a shift too!

68COUGAR

how fast?

FYI......some cool calculators to bookmark

oh, btw....you need to play this tune while attempting top-end.....

the lyrics go something like this....

Hot Rod Lincoln
( Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen )

My pappy said, "Son, you're gonna' drive me to drinkin'
If you don't stop drivin' that Hot Rod Lincoln"

Have you heard this story of the Hot Rod Race
When Fords and Lincolns was settin' the pace?
That story is true, I'm here to say
I was drivin' that Model A

It's got a Lincoln motor and it's really souped up
That Model A Vitimix makes it look like a pup
It's got eight cylinders, uses them all
It's got overdrive, just won't stall

With a four-barrel carb and a dual exhaust
And four-eleven gears you can really get lost
It's got safety tubes, but I ain't scared
The brakes are good, tires fair

Pulled out of San Pedro late one night
The moon and the stars was shinin' bright
We was drivin' up Grapevine Hill
Passing cars like they was standing still

All of a sudden in a wink of an eye
A Cadillac sedan passed us by
I said, "Boys, that's a mark for me!"
By then the tail light was all you could see

Now the fellas was ribbin' me for bein' behind
So I thought I'd make the Lincoln unwind
Took my foot off the gas and man alive
I shoved it on down into overdrive

Wound it up to a hundred and ten
My speedometer said that I hit top end
My foot was glued like lead to the floor
That's all there is and there ain't no more

Now, the boys all thought I'd lost my sense
And telephone poles looked like a picket fence
They said, "Slow down! I see spots!"
The lines on the road just look like dots

Took a corner; sideswiped a truck
Crossed my fingers just for luck
My fenders was clickin' the guardrail posts
The guy beside me was white as a ghost

Smoke was comin' from out of the back
When I started to gain on that Cadillac.
Knew I could catch him, I thought I could pass
Don't you know by then we'd be low on gas?

We had flames comin' from out of the side
Feel the tension, Man! What a ride!
I said, "Look out, boys, I've got a license to fly!"
And that Caddy pulled over and let us by

Now all of a sudden she started to knockin'
And down in the dips she started to rockin'
I looked in my mirror; a red light was blinkin'
The cops was after my Hot Rod Lincoln!

They arrested me and they put me in jail
And called my pappy to throw my bail
And he said, "Son, you're gonna' drive me to drinkin'
If you don't stop drivin' that Hot ... Rod ... Lincoln!"

turboken said:
:eek:

sizemoremk said:
That's the ratio I found also,

there is a neat online calculator for estimating RPM vs speed.
Got to do it one gear at the time though...
http://pw1.netcom.com/~sgalaba/mph.htm

I'm still not sure how to make the calculation manually...

Cool I like the one you found better. Bring up the web page click on view and source. You can see how all of the calculations are done. I removed those calculations and used them in Excel.

Our torque powerband ends around 4200-4400. So I would say you were going as fast as you could go. At least until you add more POWER.

Speed

89 XR7 5 speed topped out at 146mph, that was redline in 4th gear It could not pull anymore in 5th. After the engine was bumped and the exhaust was redone, the shift into 5th works great, it actually pulls pretty well over 150mph. What is the fastest speed someone has hit in a SC?

Back