accumulator

camaro03

i posted a ? on brakes a while back and everyone said it was the accumulator, i went to ford and they said all they could get was the accumulator kit, and gave me a pic of the assembly, it looks like all it is is a canister and a seal, they wasn $200 for this kit, is this what i need? oh just in case, the problem with the car is abs doesnt work, theres a hard brake, everytime i turn the key the brakes make a noise. thanks guys

Rusty

That's it.

The seal and diaphragm (cannister /bowl) is the accumulator. Check around at SCP or some of the other places and see if you can get it cheaper.

You have to de-pressurize the brake system by stepping on the brake pedal (engine off- key OFF ) about 20--25 times. Then you can remove the old diaphragm (unscrew with allen head ), and seal, put some brake fluid on the new seal, and screw on new accumulator. Make certain no one steps on the brakes after you depressurize them and during all this. After it's on , start the car and once again step on the brakes until you have a firm pedal. Check your fluid level.

Contact Prior Remanufacturing (www.priorreman.com) and order an accumulator for the Teves Mark II ABS (the ABS unit in SC's from '89-'92). They will get you a new one for around $100.00 If you call the 800 # on the website, ask for Rick Fletcher. He will know what you need.

Be sure to de-pressurize the system before you remove the old accumulator!!! The system pressure is around 2300psi. With the key OFF, pump the brakes around 25 - 30 times (until the pedal is rock hard). No need to bleed the system after installation. Use a new O-ring (should come on the new unit) and lube with clean brake fluid. Hand-tight (like an oil filter) is good enough. Specs call for around 16ft/lbs torque. Just don't crank-down too hard or the mounting nipple can break. After install, you will probably hear the pump running for around 30 to 45 seconds while it charges the system. This will clear up the ABS/Brake warning indicator "flashing".

Back