Heeelp With Swap :(

Thunder427

No matter where the hell I look I can never find the info or help I need... I have a 1994 Cougar with a knocking 3.8 N/A but I got the car for free so its worth just to keep and swap a new engine into it.. So I was wondering what works with this transmissions bolt patterns... I dont really want to settle for another 3.8n.a unless I absolutly have to... is it possible in the 94' tranny whether a 4R7W or AODE to put in a SC 3.8, a 5.0 or a 4.6?? thanks! i really need either a V8 or a SC's power... take any suggestions

- Don

Let's see, I know for sure a SC engine and a 4.6L V8 will bolt right up. I also think a 5.0 302 and even a 351 Windsor/Cleveland would bolt up. The AODE was gone after 93 I think. I think the easiest swap would be the SC engine.

Last edited:
i had thought that the bolt pattern was differnent for the na trannys and the sc ones, but i could be wrong. i just remember hearing on my tranny quest over at tccoa that the sc tranny had had a slightly differnet housing pattern, then the regular 4r70w. But i dunno for sure.

Tyler

RE thanks

heh thanks guys.. see i read all different things... But hmm a 351 under the hood... banks a little wide but im sure it would fit... that would be awesome.. but im sure I would have no problem finding a SC motor on this site either.. the guy doing the swap with me can basically do anything so im not too worried about the swap itself only if I would have to change trannys.. and as for the rear I drive it until it breaks.. Ive seen a 7.5 open diff on an 88 Fox tbird with a twin turbo 351 around 500 h.p or so with no problems.. lol i think people are just over cautious... but If i can direct swap any of those engines that would be great thanks!

Any 3.8 (sc or na) and 5.0 share the same bellhousing bolt pattern. The 4.6 is unique and will not bolt up. There are a lot of expensive parts that must be interchanged as well. If I were doing this I would rebuild the stock engine in the free car and then trade/sell for one you want. John

Back