Power Problem

Geevaaa9112

In my trunk next to the fuel pump shut off switch is a black box. I was wondering what that is because it stayed on with the keys out of the ignition and it killed my battery. It was making a ticking sound with no keys in then i turned the key to the on position and it stopped. Can anyone help me out with this? It would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

I would guess that it's the Keyless Entry or Anti-theft module. It would be helpful if you posted its dimensions, the number of connectors, colors of the wires, etc. A few modules are black boxes and each SC may have one or the other depending on its options.

J.D. said:
I would guess that it's the Keyless Entry or Anti-theft module. It would be helpful if you posted its dimensions, the number of connectors, colors of the wires, etc. A few modules are black boxes and each SC may have one or the other depending on its options.

Ya its a 93' super coupe, with keyless entry. The car has all the options but a moonroof. The box that was clicking is located behind the carpet directly to the right of the fuel pump shut off switch (which is on the left side in the trunk). The box is about 1ftx1ft. The car has an alarm, but the guy i bought it from said it was disconnected. Thanks for looking at my problem.

I think you're referring to the panel that has the modules mounted on the other side. Pull out (not all the way) the two push pins on the left side of this cover and then remove the cover. Then see which module is making the ticking sound.

black box with relays inside

the BlackBox to the right of the fuel pump inertia switch is for the retracting shoulder belts or Passive Restraint System as Ford calls it....it has four relays inside two for each front seat shoulder belt mechanism....a burned relay contact can stick and cause the shoulder belt motor to keep running after the belt clip reaches end of travel...it also could be a bad limit switch at either end of the shoulder belts travel route....have had to fix many of these....usually nothing is broken...the switches just get dirty and they stick open [or closed]...if they stick closed....the motors don't shut off....then the battery runs down... gotta take all the interior panels out to inspect and repair.....better grease up the track while you got it apart.....you how how they chatter when the belt moves from back to front

J.D. said:
I think you're referring to the panel that has the modules mounted on the other side. Pull out (not all the way) the two push pins on the left side of this cover and then remove the cover. Then see which module is making the ticking sound.

DNA said:
the BlackBox to the right of the fuel pump inertia switch is for the retracting shoulder belts or Passive Restraint System as Ford calls it........
My Passive Restraint Module is light gray, not black.

Thanks for all your feedback. Ill pop the cover off and take a look to exactly what is ticking. My passenger side seat belt actually doesnt move any more, so that might have something to do with it.

Back