Stereo Amp A Must ?

matt59

I have a Plain Jane Stereo in my 93'Bird No Amp and No Sub. I bought a later model Mach 460 stereo for it and bench tested it. The volume is very low and distorts when I crank it up.

Question 1. Does this unit have to go thru a Amp?
Question 2. Is there a way to bypass the amp and boost the volume?

Question 3. (unrelated) What would make Ford Combo Stereo/CD unit come on and blink for about 30sec the go off and not come back on for a while??

Tips and advice much appreciated!

Thanks... :)

matt59 said:
I have a Plain Jane Stereo in my 93'Bird No Amp and No Sub. I bought a later model Mach 460 stereo for it and bench tested it. The volume is very low and distorts when I crank it up.

Question 1. Does this unit have to go thru a Amp?
Question 2. Is there a way to bypass the amp and boost the volume?

Question 3. (unrelated) What would make Ford Combo Stereo/CD unit come on and blink for about 30sec the go off and not come back on for a while??

Tips and advice much appreciated!

Thanks... :)

1. Yes
2. Yes, go to another amp (there is no way. The Mach 460, like the prem sound units have external amplifiers. The signal that goes to them is low, so the amplifier can do the work. The real old premium sound head units had on board amps, but high distortion. The premise is that the external amp gives a more efficient, more clean sound, and comparatively speaking it does. But it is a factory amp and still not that good.)

3. Some Ford factory units have this as a known problem. I had an old Exploder with this issue and if I hit the dashboard above the unit, a little to the right, it would work again.......I do not think anyone has invested the time/dollars to figure it out, they used to just replace them, and the problem would happen, over and over....)

tmh620 said:
1. Yes
2. Yes, go to another amp (there is no way. The Mach 460, like the prem sound units have external amplifiers. The signal that goes to them is low, so the amplifier can do the work. The real old premium sound head units had on board amps, but high distortion. The premise is that the external amp gives a more efficient, more clean sound, and comparatively speaking it does. But it is a factory amp and still not that good.)

3. Some Ford factory units have this as a known problem. I had an old Exploder with this issue and if I hit the dashboard above the unit, a little to the right, it would work again.......I do not think anyone has invested the time/dollars to figure it out, they used to just replace them, and the problem would happen, over and over....)

Thanks for the information Todd (Back to pick a part for me).

Back