Sub Bad Need Help

Tony SC said:
What Is The Best Way To Remove The Old Sub Out Of The Trunk Of My 90 Sc? :
crawl in there upside down. i think there's 4 nuts holding it up on the mounting studs. Are you going to replace the speaker? if so, be careful taking the box apart.

Like NMxr7SC said, be careful when you take it apart. If you are replacing the subwoofer, Check into installing a JL Audio subwoofer or a Punch one. Some guys have moded the sub box to install an 8" as opposed to the 6 1/2" that comes stock. I dunno how they did it, but if you do want to consider it, ask if someone has any pics...
Good Luck

Installing a JL driver

SuperCoupe007 said:
Check into installing a JL Audio subwoofer
I put a JL driver in my box. There are 4 fiberglass legs that the bottom of the speaker rest on. Since the JL magnet is much thicker than the JBL, you have to shorten the legs. I think the JL driver requires 3/8" to be taken off. The way to figure it out, is to lay both speakers face down on a table. Then take a straight edge & lay it accross the magnet. Then measure the height of the speaker. The difference in heights, is how much you have to take off the support legs.

To shorten the support legs, I used a hack saw blade with electric tape for a handle. It takes some time but it's worth it. Make sure you mark all the way around the support legs before you start cutting. That way you will cut straight.

68COUGAR

I installed an 8" MTX in the top of my box. Took out the old box and split it. Then took out the old sub. Took my MTX and traced around the outside of the sub. Then offset that ring 3/8" inside. I cut the box top with a jig saw. Then use silicone under the suc mounting face. I also screwed the sub to the top of the box. Silicone the two halves together and reinstall into the car. And to think the idiot at American told me it couldn't be done.

I just took the box out and mounted a 10" free air to the bottom of the rear deck where the box used to be. Sounded much better and freed up alot of trunk space.

sc in az said:
I just took the box out and mounted a 10" free air to the bottom of the rear deck where the box used to be. Sounded much better and freed up alot of trunk space.
did you run the stock amp with the 10? will it push that much? if not, what did you use to power the sub?

Supercoupe 007 I do have some pics that I had sent to someone before. I think they are at home though. I will find them and try to post them.

NMxr7SC Yes i did use the stock amps. I did replace the headunit with an Alpine deck but used the wiring harness and used the stock amps that were in the trunk. If I remember correctly the amp for the sub is attached to the sub box so I had to remove it and mounted it to the bottom of the electronics shelf that is under there. I will find the pics and post them.

Remember though guys - it sounded better than the stock but did not pound the car like a custom box ect. I have had much better systems but have grown out of all that and do not like having huge boxes taking up most of my trunk space. even though I still like some bass.

here are the pic. in the second you can see where I relocated the amp in the lower left hand corner

Attachments

• speaker.JPG
    speaker.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 60
  • speaker 2.JPG
    speaker 2.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 77
sc in az:::::: That looks coooool.... :) :) :) I agree with you, with boxes taking up too much space.. I remember with my 2 12" i could only fit a golf bad (if i was lucky) Having a complete SC trunk is nice !!!

Last edited:
Put a JL 8" in my box, took the legs off w/ a cresent wrench. Cut off wheeled off the stock 6" mounting location, if you don't do this the cone will hit it, then mounted it w/ screws and nuts going through the box. Then put the box back together w/ new screws, longer because the fiberglass broke and the box would not seal. This is a full proof way to do it. No rattles, no chance of the box coming apart. I knocks pretty good. I now need to stop a rattle of my trunk and quater panel. :D good Luck.

68COUGAR said:
To shorten the support legs, I used a hack saw blade with electric tape for a handle. It takes some time but it's worth it. Make sure you mark all the way around the support legs before you start cutting. That way you will cut straight.

68COUGAR

Dude, all you had to do was put a cresent wrench perfectly sized over the leg then bend. It breaks perfectly flush w/ the box every time. It took a total of 1 min for all 4. The top of the box took the longest, and even that w/ a cutoff wheel only took about 30min to 45 min. You cannot tell I have an aftermarket sub unless you take the box out look through the oval hole in the top and see JL written on the cone. Just wondering, why did you only cut off a little bit of the legs?

- Joe

SuperCoupe007

THanks. The best part is I got the 10" from Walmart for $30-40. DO not remember exact price but it was cheap. For the most part it sounded decent and provided enough clean bass to make me happy.

Back