Have question about tbird intercoolers

f355bird

I dont know much about the supercoupe's but i have seen that they have factory intercoolers. I was just curious as to how functional these are. I dont have a supercoupe but i have a similar car i have a gtp that is 3.8 and supercharged. Just wondering what u guys do to battle kr i know what the gp's do. Any info would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I believe he means "Knock Retard". Once the GTP engine hears "Knock", it retards the timing to reduce the "Knock"

SC's don't experience a lot of KR. The stock IC is pretty effective although for performance applications bigger ICs are almost universally used.

yes i was refering to knock retard the lil thing and are computers pull timing and there goes power not that is a bad thing keeps u from blowing a motor.
I was kinda of curious to see how your intake and intercooler are all setup does anyone have any good pictures of how everything goes. The grand prix dont have anything to battle heat from the factory no intercooler or anything. The intercooler that people are running on the grand prix fit underneath the blower between the blower and the intake. And they are expensive. heres a couple of pictures
upload_418a8ddd5dc8e.bmp

upload_418a93af11be1.jpg

upload_418a93d4d888d.jpg

The units on the GTP are a slightly more efficient model of the Eaton M90, and by directly bolting it to the intake manifold you gain a slight performance edge at reasonable intake temps.

The Tbird was built with the older model M90 and really needed intercooling to keep things running well. Newer Tbirds also have the more efficient M90 but they retained the intercooling.

Because of packaging issues, the best option for the GTP is the liquid based intercooler. But liquid units are not inexpensive. It takes high quality work to manufacture a core you would be willing to have water running through with pressurized air all around it and could destroy your engine if it failed.

Since the SC came with a factory IC, it's easier and more popular to just enhance the stock IC that came with it.

If you browse around here more you'll find some folks with much higher HP machines that are running custom front mount intercoolers, nearly the size of what you find on diesel trucks. Others are looking at liquid intercoolers.

f355bird said:
thinks everyone i am just trying to see all of the possibilities
Keep in mind that it's gonna be tough to plumb pipe because of the way your GTP is setup to begin with, an IC under your blower is really the way to go. You GM guys should get together and demand some more reasonable prices out've the regulars you have on ClubGP etc. Cupronickel is SO over rated it ain't funny...so what if it holds up to 2,000 degree temps, if it gets that hot under the hood then you've got worse problems than a leakin' IC LOL!

By all means, hang around and keep askin' questions.

'bird

What is good about the water to air cooler being under the blower.Over are SC setup. Is that the manifold for the water to air cooler has a straighter
air path to the heads intake ports.I would think this straighter air flow,this would be a huge jump in performance over the SC manifold.Even if you had the same IC temps running in both style Intercooler air to air or air to water.

RANDY

I was always wondering if running AC through an intercooler would negate the effects of running the AC compressor and actually gain power.

An a/c compressor that you would want to run on your engine could never keep up with the heat generated by the supercharger itself. As you search for the balance you would end up creating so much surface area for cooling fins that you would impact air flow.

The benefit of the strait through shot, as Randy commented, is near zero pressure drop. As the article on the main page says, there is a good 3psi pressure drop in the stock SC ic. I believe the MP front mount has below 2, though I'm not sure if it's below 1psi.

I believe MannySC has proven the benefit of simply flipping the SC over on his car.

The main issue with the M90 though is it's general lack of efficiency when compared to newer technology forced induction options. That's why some of our members are going to have really good luck with the Whipple conversions. By "simply" converting to a more efficient supercharger design, dramatic benefits are realized. (notice the quotes... simply is not always simple)

f355bird said:
yes i was refering to knock retard the lil thing and are computers pull timing and there goes power not that is a bad thing keeps u from blowing a motor.
I was kinda of curious to see how your intake and intercooler are all setup does anyone have any good pictures of how everything goes. The grand prix dont have anything to battle heat from the factory no intercooler or anything. The intercooler that people are running on the grand prix fit underneath the blower between the blower and the intake. And they are expensive. heres a couple of pictures
upload_418a8ddd5dc8e.bmp

upload_418a93af11be1.jpg

upload_418a93d4d888d.jpg

Where could i get one of these? How much are we looking at?

JAYLS5
EMS Has done this mod.Manny can build you a manifold.
I can build one ,DAMON, MikeSC38, and a few others.
I am also sure that you most likly cannot afford this
setup being a one off build.

Back