oil questions

mkeethler

I have a couple of questions that you guys can probably answer. What kind of oil are you all using? I know the book calls for 5W30, but what about synthetics? I got a brother in law who is also a car guy (he has a WRX), who swears by synthetics. What's involved with switching over? Is it worth it? What about filters? I've been going to the dealership, and buying Motorcraft oil filters. Anything out there that's better? I tend to think about this stuff when I'm at 4000rpm.

Attachments

• P1000136.JPG
    P1000136.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 53
Royal Purple

mkeethler said:
I have a couple of questions that you guys can probably answer. What kind of oil are you all using? I know the book calls for 5W30, but what about synthetics? I got a brother in law who is also a car guy (he has a WRX), who swears by synthetics. What's involved with switching over? Is it worth it? What about filters? I've been going to the dealership, and buying Motorcraft oil filters. Anything out there that's better? I tend to think about this stuff when I'm at 4000rpm.
USE 15-40 IN SUMMER GOOD STUFF

Due to the fact that your car undoubtedly has some pretty wide bearing clearances, I also concur that 15-50 is the best way to go for an SC with miles on it.

What about in Canada where the temp gets down to -30 in the winter (I run 5w30)? I run 10-30 in the spring to the fall and I rev the motor to 5500rpms. Am I playing with disaster? Should I go to something thicker when I race? The summers here get to +30 C.

Back