another exhaust question (I'm sorry)

moore89

Ok, I will be doing some mods on my 1990 35th S/C and I am concidering what exhaust to run. The parts going along with the exhaust will be a 3" intake tube with a cone filter, a 5% overdrive pulley and an intercooler fan. I am looking at the flowmaster catback with the resonator and also removing the cats altogether. my questions are will this exhaust setup sound like crap? I don't want the little rice burner sound. And will the flowmaster piping and lack of cats be enough to help prolong the life of the headgaskets with a 5% overdrive pulley?

the flowmaster kit will definately be an improvement over stock
many years ago that was the 1 st mod I did on my SC
i still had the cats--but it sounded very nice--though not too loud
very little raspy sound

in recent years I have completely ditched the flowmaster stuff as
my power goals and sound levels and tones have changed

not knowing what your goals are its tuff to really advise on whats best
for your needs

g/l

For modest mods the Flowmaster would be fine and it's easy to install. Sound is just a little deeper tone than stock providing you also use their resonator. Removing the cats is your call as far as emissions is concerned and will probably make the exhaust louder. I have the Flowmaster Force 2 on my '93 5 speed with stock headers and cats. I also have it on my '94 auto. with ported headers, custom downpipes (w/high-flow cats) and it's definitely a nicer and louder sound with those improvements. Shortcomings of the Flowmaster is the fact that you have to buy the kit each time, as the mufflers are custom and not in their regular catalog. Also the baffle system used in their mufflers is not good for high horsepower supercharged motors and the 2.5" center pipe is probably only good for say 300hp. I have to say I've had no problems with mine, but I also believe they only make the system for the '92+ SC's now, because of the revised fuel tank routing.

It is super hard to make a 6 sound good, but I found worked best, through trial and error was straight exhaust w/ 2 dynomax bullits. (30 buck each). They are completly see through. I have no cats but I do have a resonator of sorts. I used a single Borla muffler. Just to kill the loudness a bit. I dunno, works for me. I hear the new Hooker mufflers are very very good. Many people going very fast using that muffler.

The best sound I ever got was when the first set of Flowmaster Force 2 mufflers rusted our & I took them off for a week or so; before a replacement cat-back kit arrived from Summit. I had stock cats and the Flowmaster Force 2 resonator at the time and, was very tempted to just run straight pipes out the back.

I have a stock exhaust system and was thinking about cutting off the exhuast infront of the resonator and running two dynamax mufflers with turndowns. Any input on this setup?

Back