engine swap

Thunder8289

So I may be putting a 92 SC engine from an automatic in a 93 SC 5 speed.
Anyone know if I should have any problems or should it just drop in perfectly? Also does anyone have a list of steps to take to remove an engine..preferably with pics.
Thanks

Thunder8289 said:
So I may be putting a 92 SC engine from an automatic in a 93 SC 5 speed.
Anyone know if I should have any problems or should it just drop in perfectly? Also does anyone have a list of steps to take to remove an engine..preferably with pics.
Thanks

I wish someone had an answer for me on this. The 93 has a blown engine and I would be buying the 92 engine this weekend if I find out that their is no diifference in how it bolts to the car and transmission and whatever else.

I would THINK you'll need the computer from the new motor, unless yours has EPROM and can be reprogrammed to the new motor...really not sure what years started doing that, and driveline length the same??..someone else probably best answer this, but no doubt questions that I would be asking..

BobGPz said:
I would THINK you'll need the computer from the new motor, unless yours has EPROM and can be reprogrammed to the new motor...really not sure what years started doing that, and driveline length the same??..someone else probably best answer this, but no doubt questions that I would be asking..

Thanks for the info. So you think that the computer would be different for those years. That's not what I wanted to hear but does anyone know for sure.
Thanks

I have a 1990 5 -speed, and am pretty sure I've read somewhere that the computers are different (Programmed differently) for other transmissions. 80% sure, but if nobody chimes in here, try the search for "Tranny swap" and see if it pans anything out, or keep posting...

edit...I see that you are doing just the engine and not engine AND trans?? Make it much easier to keep your original transmission in car....which you might get lucky and not need to change the EEC..

Last edited:
You should be just fine with the 92 to 93 swap. The DIS system and other components are the same. Even the EGR is not there for both years. Use all of the wiring harness and EEC from your car. The MAF, TB and injectors are the same for both. The fuel rail on the 93 might be chrome and the 92 black, but they both have the same 3-bolt mounted FPR.

The vacuum routing might be a little different since the ABS changed, but just keep track of all the lines and make sure the all get re-attached some where.

Don't forget to put a pilot bearing in the automatic engine's crank for your 5-speed! Your flywheel will bolt right up in place of the flex plate.

Might as well do new motor mounts and tranny mounts while you are in there. Change those plugs before the engine goes back in.

gldiii said:
You should be just fine with the 92 to 93 swap. The DIS system and other components are the same. Even the EGR is not there for both years. Use all of the wiring harness and EEC from your car. The MAF, TB and injectors are the same for both. The fuel rail on the 93 might be chrome and the 92 black, but they both have the same 3-bolt mounted FPR.

The vacuum routing might be a little different since the ABS changed, but just keep track of all the lines and make sure the all get re-attached some where.

Don't forget to put a pilot bearing in the automatic engine's crank for your 5-speed! Your flywheel will bolt right up in place of the flex plate.

Might as well do new motor mounts and tranny mounts while you are in there. Change those plugs before the engine goes back in.

Excellent. Thanks. The car has 335,000 kms still on the original clutch so I think I will be changing that as well. I'm a little scared to be investing in an 93 with high km's but the body is in such good shape that I am haveing a hard time resisting.

Back