A wee bit of help!

PearlBird

I have a set of 2003 mustang gt wheels, the 17x8's...and I think the offset is 24mm. I got a good deal on two 255/40/17's and already mounted them on two wheels MY question is, if I put 275/40/17's on the back wheels, will they stick out of the fender well? I'm in the process of switching my hubs to the mustang pattern. When I get the hubs done, I guess I could put the 255's on the rear, and visually create another 20mm with my eyes and try to get an idea, but It would be really helpful if someone that already had some experience with this spoke up =P

might stick out a bit.. Thing is, you are going to have two different tire heights front to rear, and your ABS won't be too happy about that.

255/40/17 is way too small of a tire for a supercoupe anyway, and that 275 is gonna buldge on an 8" wheel.

245/45 and 275/40 is a common size for what you are trying to do. I run 255/45 and 285/40 on mine, but I have 9.5" wheels in back. :D I wouldn't run a smaller tire on the back, its' just that those 255/40's are pretty short for this big car.

What I'm trying to say is, I got two almost new 255/40/17's for 70$ for both of them. For that deal I couldn't pass it up. Will the 275/35/17 be about the same height? And will they work on 8 inch wheels.

spend some time playing around with this:

tire height calculator

Stock overall height is 26.6", you want to come as close to that as possible.

For example, my 245/45/18's are near equal to the factory 225/60/16's

I'd rather be 1/4" over size than too small.

275 is really too wide for a street driven car with an 8" wide wheel, in my opinion.. You really need a 9" wheel for those.

I don't think anyone makes a 275/35/17..

Yes, you got a decent deal on those tires, but what good are cheap parts if they aren't the right parts?

A 255/40/18 is an inch taller and is still too small!

If I put the 255/40/17's on the back, and 245/40/17's on the front, the heigth difference will only be .3 of an inch. Is that acceptable?

275 section width is too wide for an 8" rim-It wont have a proper contact patch on the ground and will wear out prematurely in the centre.The tires you have picked up are way too short and will look awful in the big wheelwell our cars have.Personally,I wouldnt compound the problem by buying another pair of tires which are also too short.

255/40/17's are way too short, and 245/40/17's are even shorter.

I mean, do what you want, but don't complain when your car looks like a 4x4 because of the horrendous fender gap of having tires that are too small. Even if you lower the car it will still have more fender gap than stock.

If you want that "low profile" look you have to get larger wheels.

Brad Storey runs 255/40/19's on his SC and they are the right size.. A full 2" larger than what you are going to run.

Jeramie

These tires were on a tbird before I got them and they looked fine? I also have 200lbs of stereo in the trunk that sets the car down nice. I'm on a limited budget and can't afford 4new tires. So I'm going to have to go with what I got. Thanks for the help

listen

275s are too wide for an 8" rim-look on the tires themselves OR even the tire website-using too wide a tire on a rim will cause it to be taller, not wider, have a bulge in the middle, blah blah-tom-sc said that already-dont use 275s on the back. hell-the 255s arent even recomended for an 8" rim-but those are usable. Mike

Back