What would stop you from doing this???

joe debattista

From all of the pics I've seen of the raised blower tops, the bottom was simply extended about 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch. So what would stop you from making a phenolic or metal spacer to do the same thing? I was going to try it anyways, then port out the stock upper cap. I am a college kid and can't afford the rediculous amount of money modified parts for this car are, so I'm getting creative. I did a bunch of this type of work on my mustang and it works fine. So......Whada ya guys think????

Thanks.

- Joe

The stock one kind of bends inward weird though. I supposed you could port it out a little, but it isn't going to be as good as a raised top that's near a perfect circular pipe leading into it.

Raising the top is not the point of a raised top, the increased exit area that you can create by raising it is. You're not gonna gain anything by just slapping a spacer in there. You're not really gonna gain much from a real raised top anyway.

joe debattista said:
I am going to do it, I'll let you guys know how it turns out and how long it took. I guarantee it will cost less.

Adding the spacer won't do anything but make it taller. Like was already said..the reason for adding more material the the bottom it to allow space to make the exit hole larger. The exit hole on a stock top is squished to only about 2/3s of the size of the IC tube.

David

Did I mention I also can tig weld. :D So a bigger exit area you say. No problem. So far a see a bill of about 30 bucks for some nice aluminum plate and tubing. :D

That was almost exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for the pics. I am not underestimating the work. I am just not willing to pay the outragous amount of money that SC modifying parts cost. I would rather have a project that took me three days and have the same effect then pay someone 200 bucks for something I can actually make myself. I know it is a **** load of work, but I enjoy stupid projects like this where it is incrediblly to much work for not enough outcome. Though I will save those pics for sure thanks David.

- Joe

Back