Braided Steel Fuel Line and Connection to Fuel Tank

RussellR

While the engine is out for rebuild I want to replace my fuel lines with braided steel lines and high flow filter. I'm planning on AN-8 Send and AN-6 Return. As I'm replacing the fuel pump, now is the time to do this while the gas tank is down. :)

I found AN adapters for the fuel rail, but I can't find any for the connectors to the fuel tank. (the hairpin connectors)

I found the fuel rail adapters here
http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/04fuel/fittings.htm
Part# 9124

The connector for the fuel tank are at the top of the page, but no AN connectors

1) Does anyone know of a source for AN to Hairpin connectors
2) Those that have made this mod, what did you do here?
3) Would a AN Compression Fittings work? (see above website)

FYI, I'm putting in a 255LPH high flow fuel pump with Adj. FPR. Planning on 43.5 psi base with 42# injectors. I'm also replacing all of the hosing on the fuel rails.

You can use an AN to compression adapter or you could use a replacement barbed quick-disconnect and double clamp the braided hose to that. This works very well with rubber lined braided hose. Not sure how good clamping works with the teflon type.

RussellR said:
FYI, I'm putting in a 255LPH high flow fuel pump with Adj. FPR. Planning on 43.5 psi base with 42# injectors. I'm also replacing all of the hosing on the fuel rails.
If you are planning on a rail mounted Adj FPR, you might want to consider a remote mount. Numerous people have had bad luck with finding a good rail mounted regulator...most have started leaking after only a short time. Several have had good luck with remote mount regulators. A lot of former adj. FPR users have gone back to stock regulators with good success. Heck, I've got an AFPR that I never installed because of the problems I've read about.

Kurt K said:
If you are planning on a rail mounted Adj FPR, you might want to consider a remote mount. Numerous people have had bad luck with finding a good rail mounted regulator...most have started leaking after only a short time. Several have had good luck with remote mount regulators. A lot of former adj. FPR users have gone back to stock regulators with good success. Heck, I've got an AFPR that I never installed because of the problems I've read about.

Does that give enough pressure. I'm using the Delphi / Lucas 42# injectors. They are rated - 42.29 lb/hr at 43.5 psi. I thought the stock FPR is 39.

If I go with a remote FPR - what brand/type is best and How do you hook it up to the fuel rail?

XR7 Dave said:
You can use an AN to compression adapter or you could use a replacement barbed quick-disconnect and double clamp the braided hose to that. This works very well with rubber lined braided hose. Not sure how good clamping works with the teflon type.

I though about the AN Compression adapter. I just worried about leaks given my history with compression fittings :)

Is it ok to use a clamp with the barbed fittings. I didn't think you were suppose to do that. I'm not sure at this point if the hose I'm looking is rubber or teflon. I'm in the engineering stage right now, gather info. Guess I need to look into the pro/con of rubber vs teflon.

RussellR said:
I though about the AN Compression adapter. I just worried about leaks given my history with compression fittings :)

Is it ok to use a clamp with the barbed fittings. I didn't think you were suppose to do that. I'm not sure at this point if the hose I'm looking is rubber or teflon. I'm in the engineering stage right now, gather info. Guess I need to look into the pro/con of rubber vs teflon.

Installed correctly compression fittings will work fine. Installed incorrectly, any connection will fail. The factory fittings are barbed plastic tubing FWIW.

RussellR said:
Does that give enough pressure. I'm using the Delphi / Lucas 42# injectors. They are rated - 42.29 lb/hr at 43.5 psi. I thought the stock FPR is 39.

If I go with a remote FPR - what brand/type is best and How do you hook it up to the fuel rail?
You won't be getting the rated fuel pressure for the injectors, which will probably slighty affect the spray pattern of the injector, but I haven't heard of any problems.

I don't have any experience with remote mounted regualtors, so I can't say which are better or not.

Back