ac+defrost= stall

Brianas

this may a little long winded--looking for advice

I pretty much have a coy stage 1 setup with cam a little retarded
the motor idles lumpy and weak

any way Ive always had trouble with stalling at idle when the ac or defrost is on---when the compressor engages

Ive replaced ac components to rule out any issues with that

I added an eec tuner and under drive pullies this fixed my problem about 90%
or to a managable comprmise

I recently switched the UD pullies to some stock sized RH pullies
due to alt problems

now the problem is back even worse
I turned my idle up to 800 and added 166 rpm for AC on with eec tuner
but still she dies with ac or defrost
the motor idles up between 1000-1050rpm on the tach and slowly dies as the compressor kicks on

1.The AC was last charge with the UD pullies still on--will this make a difference? maybe too much pressure?

2. the motor seems to bog down a little when the high speed cooling fan kicks on( Im sure adding to the problem)--I have never replaced the fan
maybe its due? drawing too much juice? ( alt. + bat are new)

3. I understand there is a control module for the AC etc... could this unit be at fault in some way? should I try replacing it( never been replaced)?

thanks for any help\suggestions
Josh

UD pullies? Why would you want to slow the alternator down? not really a good idea on a car that already has a lopey idle because of the cam.
Why is your cam retarded and how much is it retarded?

MIKE 38sc said:
UD pullies? Why would you want to slow the alternator down? not really a good idea on a car that already has a lopey idle because of the cam.
Why is your cam retarded and how much is it retarded?

I originally got the UD pullies to put on with the BHJ balancer
I certainly did not want to slow the alt. but seemed the only option at the
time--And it did have a positive influence on my Ac\defrost issue
but shortly after install a low volt \ alt. issue arose

the cam is a completely different issue and dont want open a whole seperate
discussion on it
but--based on speculation by myself\engine builder\coy miller\comp cams
the cam is likely roughly 5-6 retarded
these conclusion is based upon actual data of idle\vaccuum\compression\boost\dyno charts and assoc. data
everything short of degreeing the cam--which was never done and why the condition is present

thanks
Josh

Brianas said:
any way Ive always had trouble with stalling at idle when the ac or defrost is on---when the compressor engages

3. I understand there is a control module for the AC etc... could this unit be at fault in some way? should I try replacing it( never been replaced)?
Collapsed engine mounts can cause this. Check them first. Do a search in the forums on engine mounts and idle and read up a bit to get an understanding of how/why they can cause a problem. ;) :)

Back