2 different Teves IVs' Master Cylinders

SC-71 TBIRD

Hello All,

The other day I was trying to order from an online salvage yard a Master Cylinder for my 1989 Tbird SC. The problem I am having is sales person on the phone asked me if it's a long nipple or a short nipple? :confused: I have no flaming ideal what the guy was talking about, what dipple is he talking about? Did Ford made 2 types of master cylinders? If they did for what reason and what does this nipple look like? Photos and picture could help. Thanks.

Maurice :)

Teves Mark II, the IV is the later model Tbirds.

When talking about the nipple size, they are discussing the size of the nipple on the ABS Accumulator that screws into the master cylinder.

Why they are asking must be due to them not supplying the accumulator. Otherwise is it doesn't matter. (I wouldn't trust a salvage yard accumulator)

Either master cylinder will bolt into your car, so I would just ask them which one do they have and take that one. The short nipple variety is likely more common.

Note the nipple size denotes the fitting size in the master cylinder. So if you have a short nipple master cylinder, then you can't fit a long nipple Accumlator into it. Most aftermarket accumulators that I'm aware of are all short nipple and thus far appear to work in long nipple or short nipple master cylinders just fine.

Back