Possible intake gasket leak?

BlkSCnKS

Ok, I posted my problem here '95 SC problem .
The more and more I think about it, it makes me wonder if my intake gasket is leaking into the engine. I know oil is normal in the intake tract but it seems like a lot more then my '91 ever had. I seem to use an awful lot of oil. I just checked my oil and it's almost a quart low after 1,700 miles. My '91 used a quart of oil every 3,000 miles like clockwork even with 180,000 miles on it. I've noticed, after it sits over night, when I first get into boost the next morning that I have blue smoke (burnt oil) coming out of the exhaust. But after that initial 10 or so psi blast, I don't get anymore. Is there anyway to check the gasket without pulling everything back apart? What do you guys think? Thanks, Brandon

It sounds like your valve stem seals are leaking.
When the engine sits, the oil drips down the valve and gets soaked up into carbon on the back of the valve heads.
The 10PSI blast burns off the oil quickely, but probably adds to the carbon buildup. You should check this before you burn a valve, necessitating a valve job.

On a NA engine, usually tossing a teaspoon or two of water (1/2 teaspoon at a time) down the intake with the engine revving about 3000 will knock the carbon off the valves. Not sure how to do this with a supercharged motor as you probably shouldn't get anything other than air through the supercharger if it's clearenced for a dry charge. I would not recommend this procedure unless you're able to inject the water after the blower. (maybe with a syringe in a vaccuum line?)

Back