AC and Horsepower loss

BirdofPreySC

Hey guys, I got a general question for anyone to take a shot at. How much horsepower am I loosing when I'm driving with my AC on? The cool thing is that my blower wines at a higher pitch when the boost kicks in, or at least that what I think the sound is...anyone got an answer? Thanks yall.

I'm don't no how much r/w hp is lost from the AC compressor at idle/cruising speed but when the PCM gets a WOT signal from the throttle position sensor the AC compressor is disengaged. So at WOT I believe the answer would be zero hp loss with AC on.

That's correct jimmy....

The computer has a "WOT cut-off" for the A/C compressor clutch. So if you floor it, the A/C will temporarily disengage to allow full power to get to the rear wheels.

That extra whining noise that is being made.... perhaps your A/C ISN"T cutting out at WOT????

Or it could also be the A/C compressor getting worn out.

Since it isn't possible to measure the HP loss due to the cutoff switch, I'd have to guesstimate that it is a 15hp loss. It does in fact feel significant.....

the other thing to think about is under hood temps.... With the a/c on the engine will get alot hotter & you will loose power because of that.

Chris

Thanks

Thats cool as heck that the SC has the WOT cut-off, good thinking by the Ford engineers! Thanks for the help guys!

Back