Fontana was ....eventful

Coast to Coast SC

The air was great at Fontana last night. The track was well prepped and the streak was on a mission. Lee, Kris and I were amazed how many runs you can get when the crowd is small. There were ~70 cars and many of them were running 12's and quicker. On my first run I had a new best of 15.0 with the tires still at street pressure (38lbs cold). The second run was the money maker for me as I ran a 14.821 :eek: at 92.59(tires at 26). Finally got a 14 and out of a stocker nonetheless. After playing with tire pressure I couldn't better that run but had a few more in the 14's. I managed to pull a few 2.1xx 60's on those 225/55 Kumhos but the real fun began when Lee let me run his DR's again. A bunch of 2.0's and a whole stack of 14.7's the best of which was a 14.711. I even lined up against a Viper and went down by less than 0.5...he couldn't drive as shown by a 2.9 60... The streak was giving all she had...that's for sure. I was sure the very last run would be a 14.6 as the air had gotten even better and the intercooler and hat were nice and cool. Line up and launch hard and straight, 400 feet out I hear that damn midget rattling a coffee can full of marbles under the hood...it's been a great night so I lift immediately to save the poor old girl...well I guess the damage had been done 'cause when I got back on it on the return road I was down 1 cylinder. I got to the pit just in time for the white cloud of death to start pouring forth from my baby's tailpipes. Stupid (expletive deleted, expletive deleted) piece of (expletive deleted, expletive deleted). Call road side and 45 minutes later a tow truck arrives for the 60 mile tow home...ouch...Oh well, at least I got a 14.8 on street tires :D ...anybody got a torque wrench?

Anthony

Last edited:
Congrats Anthony on the 14 sec pass. I would have loved to be there but something told me a few weeks ago not to commit. Did Paul show? Did Lee run his car? How about some more details! BTW, change your sig!

Mike

35th SC said:
Did Paul show?
Mike
No, I got stuck on my way to see you after work Thurs night and didn't get the car home till 9:30 and 4 jumpstarts later. I just finished fixing the POS a few hours ago. :mad:

Paul

Coast to Coast SC:::::: Congratulations on your victory!!! :) :) Sorry to hear that you paid such a big price for your victory... :( :(..... I hope you get it back on the road soooon.. So do i hear you opting for some porting and polishing ;)

I feel a little quilty for chanting "14.6, 14.6".

Anthony looked at me like I'd really gone off the rails the first time I did it, but by the end of the day it really looked like he was gonna make it. ;)

...and the the roof caved in. :eek:

Oh well, as I pointed out then, this is a real strong case for doing the exhaust now to keep this from happening again! And remember, my new exhaust setup is less expensive than stock and as free flowing as anything I've had on there. :cool:

Lee

BTW: I did run twice, but it was missing too badly @ WOT and I ran 14.7 and then 14.5, So I just shut it down for the day. :mad:

congrats on the 14 sec run and when do you want to work on it ?

I have tools and why not port the heads when its down,

I can help if you want to port blower and heads!

you nedd to get rid of cats or get hi flo setup ,

man I wish I had known you were stuck at track , I could have borrowed a trailer and took you home. Im only 15 mins away.

next time you guys go to fontana let me know and dont be afraid to call for help if something goes wrong (909-475-8352)

from tools to some spare parts I can help.

I got into LA ~6:00PM Friday night. Grabbed not one, but two friggin nails on the rear driver side tire. I love LA.

Congrats to all who attended and bested their times.

Bummer

Sorry to hear and it was running so well too.
Guess my cold air intake, intercooler fan doesn't help much compared to stock.
Andre

What in the heck happened??? How many more runs did you get after I left, I was assuming that you only had time for one or two more runs. Well, congrats again, and let me know if you need any help also, I'm in your area pretty often. Oh, and I just got back from getting my car in New Mexico. It's 3:30 in the morning, and I've got to work in an hour, talk about perfect timing. I'll post some pics of the car in the next day or so, it looks sweet!!!

-Kris

Kris: Congrats on getting the car back...take some pics, we want to see it! As for mine detonation killed her...plain and simple. Do you remember seeing a tiny puddle of coolant under my car? Remember me saying that I had to replace a radiator cap the week before? The signs were all there but she was running too good for me to stop. As I have always said (and paid for), I'm not smart enough to lift...BTW I got 10 runs in all...it was great, it was just the ending I would change :p

Anthony

p.s. Anyone who doubts her stockness(???) can join me for the teardown...j/k

Last edited:
"p.s. Anyone who doubts her stockness(???) can join me for the teardown...j/k"

Is that your way for asking for help ??? ;) When do u plan on operating on her ?

Slow and steady...

I will probably tear it down little by little over the course of the next week or two. I may call for help when the time comes to bolt it all back together though. Thanks...

Anthony

Coast to Coast SC said:
I will probably tear it down little by little over the course of the next week or two. I may call for help when the time comes to bolt it all back together though. Thanks...

Anthony
My conspiracy theorist mentality thinks that SOMEONE doesn't want to let us see the so called "stock" parts.... :p

I got your stock parts right here Al! j/k

But alas, it is true Al I left the stock intake, exhaust, blower, pullies and EEC but put in 2.10/1.90 valves (I had to completely redesign and cast new heads for those) and direct gas injection in. There is also a nitrous bottle in my key chain and the ports are under the blower...I have 4.10 rear gears but redesigned the M5R2 gear ratios so I only shift twice in the 1/4. What got me the 14.8 though is my newest addition of helium filled tires and nitrogen filled driveshaft...j/k :p

Coast to Coast SC said:

But alas, it is true Al I left the stock intake, exhaust, blower, pullies and EEC but put in 2.10/1.90 valves (I had to completely redesign and cast new heads for those) and direct gas injection in. There is also a nitrous bottle in my key chain and the ports are under the blower...I have 4.10 rear gears but redesigned the M5R2 gear ratios so I only shift twice in the 1/4. What got me the 14.8 though is my newest addition of helium filled tires and nitrogen filled driveshaft...j/k :p
*takes toke* what?

Ah Haw

Coast to Coast SC said:

I knew it. So my intake and fan do some good after all.

I can help tear down & tear up. I've got free days, just let me know.

Andre

Oh well, as I pointed out then, this is a real strong case for doing the exhaust now to keep this from happening again! And remember, my new exhaust setup is less expensive than stock and as free flowing as anything I've had on there. :cool:

Lee

Lee,
Would you let me/us know what your exhust system comprises?
I priced one out, headers to mufflers from SCP for (Sit Down) $2,200.
From what I know Kooks is the only supplier of headers and their site lists SCP as the only source for the SC.

Thanks, Andre

I got more info (from Paul) after I PM'd you.

I've got shorty headers w/2.5" collectors (no longer available), down tubes (not needed w/long tube), 2.5" high flow cat's, dual 2.5" to 3" resonator and 3" pipe back to a single 3" muffler. With the early gas tank, you have to go down to 3" pipe, so you don't lose anything with the single muffler.

Long tube headers go for $7-800, a pair of cat's $150-200, resonator & muffler $75-80 each and (3) mandrel J tubes $20 each. Install with custom hangers should be no more than $200.

So it looks like $1,260 - $1,400 to dupe what I'm using.

Lee

Back