Cleaning Wire Harness?

SCrazy

SCCoA Member
What's the best way do clean grease and grim off of a wiring harness that I have out of the car? I assume that dunking it in a vat o' gasoline is not a good idea.

Maybe Simple Green or something similar would cut the grease, there are places where it is caked on pretty thick.

Try a standard engine degreaser spray and then go to a car wash and use the high pressure hot water to wash it off. Don't get the hose too close so that you tear or damage the coating on anything. Just the hot steam under moderate pressure should clean up most of it. Then bring it home and finish it off with a toothbrush and parts washer solvent and a garden hose.

Also...

You can apply dilectric grease to the connectors to prevent corrosion and help seal it. It's non-conductive.

Thanks for the info...

I found this stuff called Purple Power (in the same isle with Simple Green but I was able to get it in gallon size) and used that. I dipped the harness in the stuff and was able to wipe the grease and crap right off. Very tough on the hands though I don't think laquer thinner would have dried them out more.

Good reminder on the grease since all the grease inside the connectors is gone as well.

Purple Power is amaizing. You can buy it by the gallon for like $6 at home depot. I am surprised that they are legally allowed to sell such powerful stuff. I used it last night to clean of a new 9" I bought for the truck - just took it to a drive up spraybooth/carwash thing sprayed it on and washed away the grease etc. I'm not sure if this is the best thing to use on wiring though because it might eat the coating. Steve

Back