Front driver side hub!

bbird94

Hey Guys,

My front driver side hub has about a 1\16" a play in it! I was just wondering what tools would be needed for this project and what parts would I need to get from Ford?

Ed N. maybe a little help on part #'s, your the man buddy! Thanks alot guys and any help is much apprecaited!

See Ya,
Brandon

Hey Brandon

Ford p/n for the 91 - 97 front hub is F6SZ 1104 BA. You should also replace the hub nut, F3LY 3B477 A. Not sure how the price of the Ford hub compares to aftermarket stuff down there. I know that the OE hubs are generally around 50 to 60% higher in price compared to the aftermarket hubs, on this side of the border.

cheers,
Ed N.

bbird94 said:
Hey Guys,

My front driver side hub has about a 1\16" a play in it! I was just wondering what tools would be needed for this project and what parts would I need to get from Ford?
You will need a 36mm hub nut socket and 2' breaker bar. Loosen the nut with the tire on the ground. To retorque, there is a very simple trick... OK, so not a trick, but rather some simple physics. Torque is force * lever arm length. So for example. 100 ft-lbs is 100 lbs of force on a lever arm of 1 foot. If you need 200 lbs, you can apply 100 lbs at 2 feet, or 200 lbs at 1 foot... So, you just do the math.. Divide the amount of needed torque by your body weight to get the lever arm length needed.

In my case, 210 ft-lbs is 170 lbs at 1.24 feet which is 1'-3". I measured 1'-3" from the breaker bar pivot and marked it with masking tape. Then I tightened the nut to where the breaker bar was horizontal and carefully stood with my whole body weight on the mark and let it slowly settle. No jumping up and down or bouncing and the bar needs to be horizontal for the force to be correct; if its off angle, you will get less than the required amount. :cool:
I had to emprovise this solution since I couldn't find a big enough torque wrench anywhere, and I only needed it for this 1 job, so ordering it didn't make a lot of sense. :)

Oh, and I have a perfectly good spare 91 hub if anyone's interested. PM me for details. It will not work on a 90 model with the stock rotor; it requires a 91 and up rotor. :D

Hey guys,

Ed, thanks again as always, you are a gentlemen and a scholar or somethin like that! I might have to hit you up on a couple of other of part #'s if that is cool with you and I think I might have asked you about these already ;) .

TBirdSCFan thanks for all the info, I had no idea that the hub nut needed to be torqued down that high! I guess if the wheel is riding on only that, it needs to be real tight. Hey, by the way how much would you want for a hub assembly? Is it new and is it aftermarket or a Ford hub assembly? PM me about it and I might take it off of your hands!

Thanks Guys,
Brandon

bbird94 said:
...I had no idea that the hub nut needed to be torqued down that high!
Wait till you see what the rear locknut's Ft-lbs are! :eek:

TBrirdSCFan, That's some good info to know on the tape trick. For those days when I don't want to get out my torque wrench..I must have skipped that day in physics/math.. :p

Back