Auto Trans Fluid And Shift Kit

sizemoremk

OK Guys,
I'm rebuilding my transmission in my Lincoln Towncar (1991), it is also an an AOD.

What kind of tranny fluid do you guys fancy? I was leanin toward the Quaker state mercon iii. I've heard tell of mercon V, but that it was only for newer tranny's. Any suggestions?

Also I was wondering if a shift kit (bauman) would help the tranny last a bit longer? I don't need the lincoln catchin a wheel, but is there a big durability increase in using a shift kit???

actually installing a shift kit will up the line pressures, and generally give you more wear. using b&m trick shift (available at your local autozone or summit for around 5 bucks a quart) will firm up your shifts to a lesser extent while providing a greater margin of protection to the best of my knowledge. also i think mercon v is for use on the 4r70w's.
-matt

I thought more pressure was better

Wouldn't more pressure lube the internals better? I thought higher pressure was better???

you might be right. i just thought higher pressures=higher wear on internal parts. at least that's what i was told

Installing shift won't hurt you tranny. Actually your tranny will last longer with kit installed....

"Are the AOD and AODE transmissions inherently weak? Absolutely not. Virtually all of the problems associated with them stem from not having enough line pressure to hold the bands and clutches and from compromising gear overlap. Both of these problems can be partly or mostly cured with relatively simple valve body modifications. Let's talk about each one individually."

Taken from http://www.sccoa.com/articles/transgo.html

Check that article out if you want to know more about shift kits and transmissions.

Good luck...

You have nothing to apologize for...
We cannot know everything and this is the way we can learn and to get some help from others.
:) :)

I have got excellent help here many times and it feels nice to help someone...

Thanks!!

:p :p :p

shifts kits

The friction dics in the tranny are like a clutch in a way. The tranny fluid puts pressure behind a round flat piston forcing a pressure to the friction disc and the quicker this is done the longer the friction disc will last.

Just think of how a clutch in a car works if you let the clutch out slowly you are giving more wear on that disc because of the friction. So if you let it out quicker you lenthen the life by causing less heat and friction on the dics.

If you decide on a shift kit you will not only get a longer laster car and better shifts you gas mileage will go up a little because it takes less time for the gears to shift.

yes the more pressure is better exspecially for the third and fourth gear wish lack in in the AOD.

Raymond

Back