upgrade questions

wakinyan

O.K. I hear alot of you guys adding larger mass airfflow sensors, changing throttlebodies and fuel injectors. I'm a little curious as to how this will effect the engine e.c.u. ? I have an '89 SC and would like to make these upgrades. Is it possible to add these items with out changing or upgrading the e.c.u? Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, WAKINYAN TANKA ( THE GREAT THUNDERBIRD)

If you get injectors, you should change out your MAF or have it calibrated. When using injectors, MAF and throttle body, it helps a lot to get a custom chip.

It isn't really "possible"....

What you would need to do is get a Larger MAF housing with interchangable sampling tubes. What you are trying to do is "trick" the computer into thinking you are running the correct airflow sensor, that combined with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator will get the engine to run right, But it does get very inaccurate at higher HP/injector sizes.

You're best bet is to do it right the first time, and invest in an EEC tuner. That way you can change the tuner files each and every time you make an upgrade to get the most out of that upgrade. Don't think that a MAF upgrade is going to be your last mod......

Back