Rear end question...speed sensor?

ChaseTruck754

Ok guys, here's a new one for ya... As many of you know I've got the sc motor in my ranger (I used to go by the name SCRanger on the old board). I am looking at putting a ford 9" in the truck, but I was told that the ranger needs the speed sensor which is located in the 7.5 and 8.8 rears for the auto tranny to shift right. My question is - do the T-birds have a speed sensor in their rear ends also? (that sounds BAD:p) Anyway, I was wondering what controls the shifting on the AOD's in the T-birds. I had the AOD in the truck for a short time, but that thing sucked and broke (also seemd to suck a TON of power out of the thing). I then put in a T-5 out of an 89 mustang 5.0 which ROCKS, but sadly I will soon have to go back to an auto (which will be a c6 this time), so I need to know if I will have to keep the 8.8 speed sensor? Hopefully that didn't confuse you all. Thanks. Steve:D

The 89-93 AOD in the SC was not electronically controlled. You just need to have the throttle valve cable hooked up and adjusted properly from the throttle body to the trans. The 94-95 SC used the AODE electronic version which would need a speed sensor input of some sort.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Thanks, but since I don't plan on using the SH!TTY AOD anymore I'm not sure what to expect w/ the c6. Does anybody know if the T-birds have a speed senso in the rear end like a ranger does? It is a little plug that plugs into the top of the diff. right near the middle. Since I don't have an SC or know anybody locally who does I can't check for myself. Thanks. Steve:D

Nope, mostly just the trucks that have that. On the truck applications it was originally used only as a speed sensor for the rear ABS, and then in 1992 when most of the Ford trucks went to a digital odometer, the sensor would give a signal for that as well. The only sensors on a SC rearend are the two for the ABS system.

ChaseTruck754 said:
Thanks, but since I don't plan on using the SH!TTY AOD anymore I'm not sure what to expect w/ the c6. Does anybody know if the T-birds have a speed senso in the rear end like a ranger does? It is a little plug that plugs into the top of the diff. right near the middle. Since I don't have an SC or know anybody locally who does I can't check for myself. Thanks. Steve:D

cheers
Ed N.

Back