liquid to air intercooler results/tech info anyone ?

SuperCoupeSC91

i seen in the parts for sale section here,

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53917

he said its there biggest PWR liquid/air intercooler, comes with heat exchanger/pump/fan, the whole kit, now i'm very interest but very concerned, can someone let me know if this will help alot and how high of a HP range (i'm going for straight racing with my SC now ) what will it be efficient to ? i have a custom front exit top made by jJarod and i plan on doing a setup like with a kit like his, someone when i made a comment about a liquid/air intercooler before in a post somewhere said it would be to restrictive? but these things are on turbo cars with much more PSI then our SC's will ever push :) so i dont understand how this wouldnt work ? but i would like to understand if u can give me a definition :confused: :D ? i just dont want to spend that kinda $$ and find out ppl know it wont work and they know why and all i had to do was ask...Thanks Alex L

** link to PWR website that sells some intercoolers, there biggest is smaller than the one the guys offering so his is better, but i have some tech info from the site (link below)

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cheapturbo/pwr6dix10le3.html

** 6" x 10" 3" inlet + Outlet

flow: 920cfm

pressure drop @ 7psi = 1.1 psi

overall length 19"

depending on cooling media temp drop from in to out can range from 50% to 100%

I'd ask Chris. He likely had it installed at one time or had plans to. As long as it's pressure drop is low, and it's flow is good, it should work well. The largest issue with any air to water intercooler is keeping the coolant cool and flowing it at a rate sufficient to keep up with the heating.

RE: Liquid IC

Mike8675309 said:
I'd ask Chris. He likely had it installed at one time or had plans to. As long as it's pressure drop is low, and it's flow is good, it should work well. The largest issue with any air to water intercooler is keeping the coolant cool and flowing it at a rate sufficient to keep up with the heating.

The big advantage with liquid is you can always us a refrigerative aid such as ice or co2. The big disadvantage of air to air IC is they tend to get heat soaked and if you are a roundyroundy or road racer they lose their efficiency just when you need them. As long as you have enough flow of cold enough medium (who says you need to use water) a liquid IC with sufficient flow and low pressure drop will always be better.

so just running quarter mile should be efficient enough right ? do these numbers i posted from the pwr sound a reasonable flow and pressure reading they give me ? thanks Alex L

I seen it installed on his car...Nice looking setup when completed. I'm sure it would work great for you..And the price is right....You can even run it inline with an Air to Air IC...You can put an external resevoir and ice teh water for a super cool intake charge as welll

Just bringing this thread up again. Did anyone end up purchasing the PWR intercooler and successfully using it?

no i havent done so yet, not 100% sure i will, have been busy workin on my truck and my system that i'm about to just put on hold, (not enough air space in my reg cab for my subs in a ported box :( ) havent even did my valve seals yet either, waiting for my bro to help me out, everything on the top is out, but i'll post something if i do... Alex L

supercatxr7 said:
Just bringing this thread up again. Did anyone end up purchasing the PWR intercooler and successfully using it?
[edit> Mark, since it was just pointed out to me that Chris is the one selling the unit, I am sure he must have already shared his experience with you on it. My apologies for interjecting without reading the link. </edit]

Paul

Last edited:
Back