Running Hot & Loss of Power what is it?

SCollord90

Recently my car has been running extra hot despite how much cooler its gotten and just the other day it started feeling gutless. I been searching through the archives but I can't find anything that is very definitive. Would a bad crank sensor cause this. I got codes saying my ECT wasn't functioning properly or that it was my crank sensor.

Can anybody help? I am at school and work most of the time so I haven't had much time and nobody responded to my other post. If it is the crank sensor then would I be able to change it out in a single night? It looks like I just have to remove the crank pulley and the sheilds then its right there. Anybody??

How hot is the car running? Do you have enough coolant? Are you fans turning on? Is your thermostat any good? A bad crank sensor wouldnt have anything to do with your car running hot. What codes are you exactly getting?

Hey Andrew, does your temp guage jump around or does it just stay in one place? I don't think it is your crank sensor. It could be your thermostat or your fans aren't turning on. Try turning on your a/c next time it starts running hot and see if that cools it down. Make sure you have enough coolant in your radiator. I hope one of your headgaskets isn't getting ready to blow. It could be leaking a little. If you want you can give me a call and we can check it out. 410-1529

It has been running in the middle of the Temp gauge and it normally stays in the first quarter of it. I haven't checked to make sure something strange with the fan isn't happening but when I turn off the car I hear it stopping. I have plenty of coolant and it doesn't appear to be milky last I checked. My idle is up a couple hundred. I have replaced a melted O2 sensor recently (the connection melted to the header) but I'm still getting codes for it. And finally the other day when I started my car I had a whining noise until it got warmed up even when I shut it off and restarted it since then my SC seems to be louder and sounds like the bearings are going.

I've gotten codes:

21- ECT not at normal operating temp. OR EDIS (distributorless ignition sys) fault-problems with Crankshaft Position Sensor

41-O2 sensor signal always Lean-does not switch (which is obvious when you look at the plug itself)

91-O2 sensor always lean OR transaxle problem shift solenoid 2 circuit failure.

77 & 74 but that doesn't matter

I was pretty sure I fixed my O2 sensor and had cleared the codes by stopping the diagnostic function and leaving the battery off for about 30+ min.

I noticed recently that my Vac is only at 11 or so when in Drive and stopped but it gets near 18 when I am coasting and around 15 when in Park.
To me it seems like I have parts of different problems but no common one which would cause all this. I'm having fun :eek:

The 21 doesnt mean anything either, your supposed to let your car warm up before doing the koeo test so if you didnt this will come up. Your vaccum does seem a little low, check for a vac leak somewhere eventhough this shouldnt affect your temp. Do your plugs look like they are running lean? If your car is running pretty lean for some reason this could be the reason for it running hotter.

Running Hot

Hot, low power, sounds like might be timing caused by broken crankshaft damper. (I had this happen, bolt was still there, but broken snout let the damper move around the crank just enough to change timing slightly resulting in similar symptoms).

Bill

Granted my car wasn't the warmest but I did have it warmed a little, however I'm willing to dismiss 21 but 41 only agrees with it.

As for a vacuum leak I don't think thats the case because unless I'm wrong it wouldn't make the car stutter (I give more gas, nothing happens or it it happens quickly but late)

It's actually running rich, the sensor is black but I think you just interpreted wrong. The code says the O2 sensor is registering "always lean" so its really telling EEC to give it more gas, which it doesn't need.

I haven't pulled the plugs yet but I think I'll do it when it drys up. (we got rain in the desert!)

Any other ideas?

Back