New to the Site

1993XR7

Hi. We just joined ourselves today. We don't currently own a Super Coupe, but I would very much like to find a decent one to buy. We currently own a 93 Cougar XR7 with the potent, (lololololol) 3.8L engine. Actually the car runs excellent so I'm not complaining.
We also own 3 Monte Carlo SS's, 2 86's and an 87. I hope y'all won't hold that against us. :eek:
I was wondering if there was anything special I need to look for in a Super Coupe when I get ready to purchase one. I test drove a new one back in 91 and fell in love with it. unfortunately I couldn't afford the payments for one then. Are there any common faults I need to be on the lookout for? Any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Again, thanks for letting us join and I look forward to a long and productive stay here. :)

If you buy one, replace the harmonic balancer with an aftermarket one ASAP. Trust me.

Head gaskets were a problem (though less of one if it has aftermarket exhaust). Ask if they have been replaced.

Thanks for the tips. We looked at a black 89 SC last night. It needs a repaint but according to the current owner the supercharger's been rebuilt as well as head gaskets done. It has a 5 spd that is from a 94 SC. The car runs great but the clutch is a pain in the ***. He said it has a "bigger" clutch in it and that's why it's so touchy.
The interior is dark red cloth and in mint condition with no tears in the seats. I forgot how much I loved those seats when I tried out the new SC back in 91! :D
The body is rust free, but the front and rear bumper covers need to be replaced. The front nose cover has damage and both have been repainted previously. The paint is checked and chipping off pretty badly. If I was to purchase this car I would get a complete repaint with a new front and rear bumper cover. I also like the looks of the ram-air hood and would consider ading this to the car. Has anyone here put one on their car?
What do you think this car is worth from the way I described it? The guy hasn't really set a price on it so I'm kinda at a loss to know what to offer him without insulting him.
Thanks for the welcome and tips! :)

Depends on how many miles.

I'd talk him down and make him pay for a lot of the paint job, since they are expensive. $1500 max is what i'd say.

Back