not so indestructable.....

NR94mtSC

i was begining to think this m5r2 was indestructable with 202,000 miles of ABUSE!

not anymore

Attachments

• pic 1 small.JPG
    pic 1 small.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 175
XR7 Dave said:
Ouch!!

Let me guess, wheel hop?

well yeh... it was hoppin real bad then as soon as it hooked up the back of the car squatted and shook down real hard and it tried to go but as soon as it did... BANG cathunk cathunk cathunk.. lol

o well at least it was at the track.
now its time for 4.11s and a 6 spd

NR94mtSC said:
well yeh... it was hoppin real bad then as soon as it hooked up the back of the car squatted and shook down real hard and it tried to go but as soon as it did... BANG cathunk cathunk cathunk.. lol

o well at least it was at the track.
now its time for 4.11s and a 6 spd

:eek: Hell might has well go with da 4 link also :p

I've Done That!!!!

Don't feel so bad, I've had it happen to me. I launched real hard and the tires broke loose for a split second, they hooked again, then BANG. I shattered the tail shaft housing and broke the output shaft in two. Lots of fun :( . I feel your pain.

i must have got lucky...i just snapped the out-put clean in two. It looked like someone cut it with a saw because it was so clean and straight. Like I said, I got lucky and just have to replace the shaft. Dont worry man, we all feel your pain, most of us 5-speed owners have been there before.

That same thing happened to a friend of mine. I looked at his diff bushings and they were completely shot. Im guessing since the bushings were shot, the drivetrain was allowed to move too much which put it at bad angles with more stress on certain components causing it to break. Have you changed your bushings, what do they look like?

On one hand it does show that the parts aren't indestructible, but on the other hand it empasizes the proper maintenance of driveline components and the use of proper equipment. That type of wheel hop will kill just about anything.

On a side note, there are more than one of us using that same tranny with substantially more power than it took to break that one and we haven't had any problems. :)

like i said this trannys seen 200 000 miles of abuse. in my oppinion it was long over due. im using the poly diff mounts and they are fine.

just a case of an ouput shaft that was ready to fail.. and this shot finished her off. if you look at the top of the shaft in the picture where it is smooth.. that shows a fatigue point that was stressed for a long while. the rough spots show where it just finally sheared.

the wheel hop is what caused the case to blow apart.

Back