reading codes with a paper clip

Ronald Wendt

I have the list of codes but I am not sure on where to use the clip.

I know where the plug and recepticle. Which one do you put the clip in?

I think mine had 3 pins. Which ones do I use?

Thanks

Ron

Ron - I don't have the diagram, but it's in the Haynes Manual ($16 at your local auto parts store - like PepBoys) or you can get the cheap Acron code reader at WalMart for about $30-40 (it also reads the ABS codes as well. I believe that's the only reader that does ABS).

I have a 91 if that means anything. I don't know if there were different plug configurations betwen the years or not. I have the article from the old Rolling Thunder, but what it describes as the plug does not jive with what I have

Ron

I can post a picture later, but under the hood, there is a gray cover on the back side of the passenger side shock tower. You take that cover off and there is a connector with about 4 leads and a connector with just a single wire lead. The single wire is what is known as STI. You push one end of the paper clip into that lead.

Face the larger connector towards you with the tapered side pointing up.. the top row will have 2 openings and the bottom row will have 4 openings. plug the other end of the paper clip into the top rightmost lead. Lay it down on something which isolates it from the car frame such as a piece of cardboard.

Now, get in the car and turn the key on to the run position and start counting flashes. Do a forum search on what the intervals and flashes mean. Something like "code flash pulse KOEO" and read up. Its too lengthy for me to describe here and it takes practice.

Here's a helpful link:

http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/eecivtest.html

Have fun. After you get the hang of KOEO codes, you can try the KOER tests. :cool:

Ron - all the EEC test terminals should be the same OBD 1 type on SC's. '89-93 models have the connector on the back of the passenger shock tower, but it should be the black one not the gray. '94/95 models have it on the passenger inner fender, adjacent to the MAF. At first you'll have to pull both the large & single connector from underneath the black cover (it has those typical dual prong electrical locks on them). After that it is a good idea to pull the cover off the plastic stud that holds it to the shock tower and modify it so you can pull the whole box off in one piece. That way you won't break anything next time you use it.

Joisey Jim said:
Ron - all the EEC test terminals should be the same OBD 1 type on SC's. '89-93 models have the connector on the back of the passenger shock tower, but it should be the black one not the gray. '94/95 models have it on the passenger inner fender, adjacent to the MAF. At first you'll have to pull both the large & single connector from underneath the black cover (it has those typical dual prong electrical locks on them). After that it is a good idea to pull the cover off the plastic stud that holds it to the shock tower and modify it so you can pull the whole box off in one piece. That way you won't break anything next time you use it.

I hate to bring up this old thread..........but I have to make sure of something. You say it's the black connector.......but my black connector has a red cover on it that says something about Antilock Test. I have a gray one that is identical.......

Did whoever have this car before me just put the wrong cover on the connector. I was trying to do the KOEO test last night but couldn't find the lead that everyone keeps talking about. Then for $hits and giggles I pulled the connector up with the Antilock cover on it and sure as ***** it had a lead. Well not knowing any better I kept looking for a lead with the gray connector.......and of course couldn't find one.

So I just want to clarify which connector I'm suppose to use. Is it the black or gray...........and if it is the black.......what is the gray one for?

Thanks........and sorry to bring this up.....but I got the car in pieces more or less and don't know much about Fords. But I've always liked the SC.

Back