racing 1/4 mile with front spares ??

SuperCoupeSC91

is this allowed for your front tires ? i mean your only going very fast for a several seconds ? i thought i read in a post that someone did ? i just bought a 2nd spare today, its mint, and i want to put them on the fronts, and i got some 96-97 t-bird wheels at the boneyard today (freakin 55 $ each, but i wanted this to be all done today) and getting some D.O.T hoosiers (just got 2 sets at the swap meet for very cheap :) ) mounted as i write this at firestone (waiting for a call to pick them up), and i'd be happy if this was true then i would be alot lighter at the track next time i go, compared to my 18's with my tires..i want to do the mustang conversion and go with pro stars but now in the mean time i can sell my rims and have something to go with.. Alex L

Last edited:
You could use the wheels but I would not recomend the tires. They are only rated for 55mph so the potential for both front tires to blow out is great. I personaly would not risk it. Just buy some Hoosiers to mount on them.

Shane

Ive seen quite a few low 12sec passes by a fellow sccoa member using aluminum spares with stock tires on them, not gonna mention any names lol :D

Done this many a time.... not a big deal. Just don't put traction compound on them and don't lock up the brakes. The reason the stock tires are rated for such a low speed is becasue they get hot easily and the belts shift. If you notice any bulges in the sidewall, they need to go in the garbage. You're not going to blow them up on a 12-15 second pass, though.

Last edited:
sweet, glad to hear, i cleaned up those rims and took pics of them with the smaller hoosier DOT slicks on them (225/60/15) and i got another set downstairs of 275/60/15's but not sure if they will fit these t-bird rims ? if so i'll be mad that i just paid 25 bucks to get them mounted and balanced at firestone.. i hope that 225/60/15s arent pointless, i hope with get some decent traction at very little air ? 5-10 psi ? i should get traction or am i dreaming with these small tires ? :confused: and if someone can confirm i can put my other hoosier tires i got on those t-bird wheels i will tomorrow :) Thanks Alex L

** forgot to mention i got all of these DOT slicks at the swap meet sunday these have the best thread (235/60/15) but not that much and the other set all for 5 bucks each tire :) i cant wait to bake them up next time i go to the track and video tape it with my friend, i didnt want to kill my other tires from my 18's when i went my first time, and i didnt bake them up alot maybe 3 seconds.. :)

Last edited:
Dan sly uses the spare wheels with real tires on them . Thats probably a safer bet. That is my plan for next year.

what PSI should i run about with these ? they are radial since there DOT approved i imagine, so is running 5-10 PSI a good thing or to low for these ? thanks Alex L

my local track dont not allow the use of spare tires...and for good reason...they are only rated at 55mph. However, you can use the rims, and just mount some 4" tires on them and you'll be fine. My buddy got some new tires from an old VW bug parts dealer on ebay for about 15 bucks each(firestone, new).

ok, then where is the cheapest place i can get runner tires for these rims ? anyone ? :( more money to spend....Thanks Alex L

I'm using the steel spare wheels but replaced the temp. tires with real 165 15 tires. I doubt that the track would let you race with the spare tires but there's nothing wrong with the wheels. With tires, my steel spares are about 4-5 lbs lighter than the stock wheels with 225/60/16s. That's not much of a savings but I've heard that the lower rolling resistance of the skinny tire is where the big gains are.

Aluminum spares would be the shizzle if you can find them and then just put on some front runner tires on them.

AL spares are hard to come by now. I was able to find 2, and make deals to obtain them. :D I am running a VW bettel tire on them The tires cost me, along with balancing and mounting, a total of 75 bucks. Brand new tires. I think the size was 175/r15, or something like that. They don't have the aspect ratio in the size, and I do'nt know why. Go to any local tire dealer, they should be able to set you straight.

The stock tires, I'm sure would be ok for a few trips down the track, but they might not pass the tracks tech inspection. Plus with new tires, that are speed rated, your just safer in the long run.

Good luck.

Oh yeah, this set up took 2 tenths off my ET. But that was over a set of 17" rims.

As mentioned the common tire to use is the VW tire. They are about $35 EA.
Some tracks wont let you run the spare rim and most will not let you run the spare tire. The aluminum ones are KEWL.

Gary

As far as the psi in the hoosier slicks, I'd start with 15psi and work your way down form there. Better to start high and let air out, then to start too low and have to try and add air between runs. I have Hoosier QTPs for my Dakota. I was running them at 12 psi(26x11.5x15 on 15x10 rims) and couldn't break them loose on launch to save my life(with about 250+hp to the wheels) and was actually bogging out of the hole because of it. Next time out will probably try 15psii to see if that helps the bog out of the hole. With those being drag radials, I'd think you would want to run slightly higer pressure. As far as the front spares. I'd say try it to see if the track will let you run with them. Ask them before you mount them up, or just drive through tech with them and see what they say. They say not to drive over 55mph on them, but that's for extended periods of time, not short 14 second runs where you are only over 50 for about half that time. I've seen people ue the doughnut spares for over a month driving over 55 on the freeway and never have a problem, but I woudl never do i personally. I wouldn't have a problem using them at the track though. A few of the Dakota guys actually use Dodge Viper doughnut spares at the track on our trucks with no problems.

Back