My SC hates me

94sc

Hi guys,

I have a bit of a problem, earlier in the week my 94sc lost power and died. I have done everything to this car. Rebuilt motor, tranny gone through, lots of time and money into motor. I have the car in the shop this time. They can't figure out what is wrong. The car is getting to much gas and flooding out they tell me. I think the computer went to hell, but I'm not sure and nothing is coming up on the diagnostics. If anyone has had this happen or knows what could be wrong I could sure use some help.
Also if anyone has a main ecu computer for a 94sc I might be looking for one.

Thanks 94sc

IAC Valve. I know it seems far fetched, but do a search for "Billowing Smoke in WA". It ran so rich that it washed down my cylinders with fuel. Amazing what those little #30 injectors could pump.
Try unplugging the IAC Valve with car idling/cold. If it keeps running and the thing starts to howl then ya got a bad IAC that had the bellow go ka put. Electrically shot, I'm unsure of but when the bellow gets a hole the EEC will think it is closed when actually it is open. It will give you O2 & MAF Ghost Codes that aren't really there.

edit...Here is that post, in the end after new injectors, TPS, O2 Sensors, Cleaning the MAF, New FPR, ALL new vac lines, etc.. it was the IAC Valve.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27299&highlight=Billowing+Smoke

Now all the "Pro's" can pick apart my post.. where's the icon for the one fingered wave? Guess this will do: :mad:

Last edited:
Question on IAC Valve

Hi Bob,
thanks for replying so quickly, my one questions is, is what is the IAC valve and what does it do. I'm sure I have hooked it up before or seen it on the motor I am just unfamiliar with that part.
Thanks 94sc

BobGPz said:
IAC Valve. I know it seems far fetched, but do a search for "Billowing Smoke in WA". It ran so rich that it washed down my cylinders with fuel. Amazing what those little #30 injectors could pump.
Try unplugging the IAC Valve with car idling/cold. If it keeps running and the thing starts to howl then ya got a bad IAC that had the bellow go ka put. Electrically shot, I'm unsure of but when the bellow gets a hole the EEC will think it is closed when actually it is open. It will give you O2 & MAF Ghost Codes that aren't really there.

edit...Here is that post, in the end after new injectors, TPS, O2 Sensors, Cleaning the MAF, New FPR, ALL new vac lines, etc.. it was the IAC Valve.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27299&highlight=Billowing+Smoke

Now all the "Pro's" can pick apart my post.. where's the icon for the one fingered wave? Guess this will do: :mad:

94sc said:
Hi guys,

I have a bit of a problem, earlier in the week my 94sc lost power and died. I have done everything to this car. Rebuilt motor, tranny gone through, lots of time and money into motor. I have the car in the shop this time. They can't figure out what is wrong. The car is getting to much gas and flooding out they tell me. I think the computer went to hell, but I'm not sure and nothing is coming up on the diagnostics. If anyone has had this happen or knows what could be wrong I could sure use some help.
Also if anyone has a main ecu computer for a 94sc I might be looking for one.

Thanks 94sc[/QUOTE/]

I had to get a new starter after mine started losing power and dieing, but it only shut down after my engine got hot.

The Idle Air Control (IAC) valve.........

94sc said:
Hi Bob,
thanks for replying so quickly, my one questions is, is what is the IAC valve and what does it do. I'm sure I have hooked it up before or seen it on the motor I am just unfamiliar with that part.
Thanks 94sc

is located on the throttle body right in front of the throttle position sensor. It controls the airflow to the engine at idle. Normally if the IAC is OK and you unplug it, the engine will die.

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, UD Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73mm CL MAF (Blue Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Lubricants and Rear Spring Air Bags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 76mm CL MAF (Gold Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Lubricants, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Pro-Torque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Tokico Struts & Shocks, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires and 235 RWHP with 315 LB-FT Torque.

Like Ed said, try and unplug it and normally it will cause the car to die if it is good. If it keeps running then it could be bad. Have you experienced a high idle? Or strange noises lately? If so, then I would highly suspect the IAC Valve. Make sure you get a Ford unit only$70 - if you do decide to replace it. Don't forget the new IAC Valve gasket too $2. Don't try cleaning it as it will just make it worse. Aftermarkets will usually not work correctly.

Attachments

• Back Together 3.jpg
    Back Together 3.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 98
Thanks

Thanks guys for replying so fast. Well they found the problem it was right under my nose. The damper for the crank sheared off for the second time in under a year. I couldn't believe it, so I am trying to get a hold of super coupe performance to purchase a steel damper. I don't know what else to do. Replace the stock part and watch it snap again.

Thanks again for the quick replies.
94sc

Back