speaker wires

lapole37

how can i tell which speaker wires are positive and negative? from what i've heard, the ones with blue stripes or green stripes are positive, but on the rear driver side theres a pink w/ green stripe and a pink w/ blue stripe. which ones pos and which ones neg? thanks.

If you haven't cut the factory wire harness purchase an aftermarket harness adapter and it will make your life much much easier. The aftermarket plug has the same color code as after market radios, so its easy to connect. If you did cut the harness, sorry can't help you there, forgot the color codes on the SC :eek:

i've got the wiring harness and everything in the dash slot figured out. i'm talking about the wires in the speaker holes themselves, that connect directly to the speakers. i've heard people mentioning pulsing the speakers with a battery. how do i do that?

Just hook it up. If the speaker cone bumps up it is wired correct. If it bumps down then you have them reversed.

You have to disconnect the speaker and get some wires and hook up the speaker termials to a 9V battery. After you hook up the wires to the speaker hook up the negative of the battery and then sligthly contact the other wire to the posotive, if the spekaer jumps outward, then you'll know which one is positive, if the speaker jumps inward (or lowers down) then the positive is the opposite one.. Hopes this helps.

Here you go:

Pin Number Circuit Circuit Function
1 855(Light blue) RH Rear Signal (-)
2 278(Pink White) RH Rear Signal (+)
3 858(Blue Red) RH Front Signal (-)
4 279(White/Red) RH Front Signal (+)
5 859(Yellow) LH Rear Signal (-)
6 277(Light Blue/Black) LH Rear Signal (+)
7 857(White/Orange) LH Front Signal (-)
8 280(Light Green) LH Front Signal (+)

Chilton

tmh620 said:
no problem, if you need more, let me know
was wanting to know if there are any good books out there for the wiring on these cars i have a had good luck in the pass with chilton and dont really care for the haynes as it isnt indepth on wiring

Aminor_Accident said:
was wanting to know if there are any good books out there for the wiring on these cars i have a had good luck in the pass with chilton and dont really care for the haynes as it isnt indepth on wiring
Search eBay for the 1989 Car Wiring Diagrams and the 1989 EVTM (Electrical & Vacuum Troubleahooting Manual). Don't buy ones for a different model year as there are some differences in the wiring. The Wiring Diagrams can also be bought from http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r= for around $19 shipped.

Aminor_Accident,

Are you looking for something in particular? If you let me know the system, I am sure I can come up with any diagram/schematic you need, IF the vehicle is 1994 or newer. Prior to that may be a bit more difficult, but maybe not impossible.

Overwhemed !!!!

Im looking for basic wiring diagrams for the 89 Sc 5 speed i checked helm they dont have it for that year i also checked ebay so maybe if somebody has a wiring diagram they could scan it and send pdf are something to my email tonedeaf2000@yahoo.com i have a short in the right side of the radio sound comes out but is very dim i had circut city install a alpine cd brand new polk speakers and a MTX kicker and amp in it thinking it was the factory stereo that was on the blitz he spent 5 hours and was stilll frustrated and still a low sound coming from the right side he used those adapters for the factory wiring and everything i havent jumped into yet as im still banging my head on the abs unit but once i get that done ill be tackling that job any help would be great Thanks :)

Aminor_Accident said:
he spent 5 hours and was stilll frustrated and still a low sound coming from the right side he used those adapters for the factory wiring and everything i havent jumped into yet as im still banging my head on the abs unit but once i get that done ill be tackling that job any help would be great Thanks :)

The short is in the wiring harness for the right side. It is in one of the connectors (which would have to be replaced to fix the problem). It would be easier to run an rca connection straight from the head unit to the amp, then run new wires out to the speakers.

If you are using the head unit to power the door and rear panel speakers, it would still be easier to run wires from the HU to them directly and an rca out to a sub amp.

This is a problem with a lot of for vehicle's, not just the T-bird. Save yourself the labor and time of trying to run the problem spot down, run new wires.....also, you can eliminate the extra components by doing this (the rca converters)

Good Luck.

By the way, I do not have the diagrams back to 89....sorry.

Back