Intermittent Code 181

J

Joisey Jim

On my '93-5 speed with 200,000m I've recently been seeing the 'check engine light' flash when accellerating in 2nd gear. I pulled the memory code #181, which is 'running rich on the right side cylinder bank'. Any ideas or suggestions. Car runs fine, gas mileage is normal ,so I'm going to clean the K&N filter, clean the MAF wires and clean out the throttle body for starters & see what happens.

Joisey Jim said:
On my '93-5 speed with 200,000m I've recently been seeing the 'check engine light' flash when accellerating in 2nd gear. I pulled the memory code #181, which is 'running rich on the right side cylinder bank'. Any ideas or suggestions. Car runs fine, gas mileage is normal ,so I'm going to clean the K&N filter, clean the MAF wires and clean out the throttle body for starters & see what happens.
Run the KOER test (search the forums on how to do this) and run the cylinder balance test at the end to identify any suspect injectors. Never hurts to replace the O2 sensors in a situation like that especially if they have more than 80,000 miles on the set. :)

Thanks - I have a good AutoXray scanner, so I'll run the KOER test and do some live monitoring, to see if anything shows. O2 sensors are fairly new, so cyl. balance test may be the key.

Back